Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what happened:

I was playing a game on my laptop (specifically Hearthstone) when my computer started freezing. After about five minutes of it freezing and unfreezing, and then finally crashing to a blue screen, I restarted the computer. I was frustrated, but this didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary.

Upon startup, it took me to the "starting Windows" screen, accompanied with the Windows logo. After about 3 minutes of sitting and staring at this screen, I angrily restarted it again. It had been a long day and I had had enough. (As I say this, I spent 30 minutes typing this up on my phone only for my web browser to crash.)

I was a little aggressive with it this time, and banged on the keyboard a bit. I noticed a bit of a clunky noise, though, so I froze and let it do its thing. Instead of starting up correctly, it took me to this screen:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windows Normally.

Launch Startup Repair (recommended)

Start Windows Normally

Description: Fix problems that are preventing Windows from starting"

Selecting the first option, Launch Startup Repair, takes me to a screen that says "Windows is loading files..." with a loading bar underneath it that fills up about two-thirds of the way, and then takes me to this screen:

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Status 0xc00000e9

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred."

Selecting the second option, "Start Windows Normally", takes me to the "Starting Windows" screen, but this time without a logo. After maybe 15 seconds, it takes me to the "Windows is loading files..." screen, which then takes me back to the 0xc00000e9 screen.

I restarted my computer a bunch of times, and when that didn't work, I Googled my problem; however, I'm ashamed to admit that I have no idea how computers work. Most of the terminology used in these solutions went completely over my head.

That aside, I tried what I could decipher - the first thing I tried was taking the battery out and putting it back in after 10 or 15 minutes. Didn't work. Next I tried hitting F2 upon starting the computer up. I messed around with the priorities but nothing helped. Lastly, I hit F8 and tried starting the computer in safe mode with command prompt, but it took me to the "Windows is loading files..." screen with the incomplete bar, which then sent me to the 0xc00000e9 error screen.

What do I do? Is my laptop toast? Did I maybe knock something loose when I got rough with it?

For the record, I have a Vaio VPCEB with Windows 7.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,866 Posts
Hi, and welcome to TSF, try removing the ram and reseating it, and do the same with the hard drive. Unfortunately you may have damaged something IE the hard drive, you can use something like seatools for dos to test the drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, and welcome to TSF, try removing the ram and reseating it, and do the same with the hard drive. Unfortunately you may have damaged something IE the hard drive, you can use something like seatools for dos to test the drive.
Any idea where I might find that on a laptop? Do I need to rip off the entire underside of it, or is there a single compartment I can access by unscrewing a couple of screws?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Any idea where I might find that on a laptop? Do I need to rip off the entire underside of it, or is there a single compartment I can access by unscrewing a couple of screws?
This video shows the disassembly of your model laptop.
Around the one minute mark he removes the cover for the Ram, it is central on the base of your Laptop.
From your description I would say your Hard Drive is damaged internally and will need replaced.
Replacing with an SSD is a good idea if it is going to be subjected to rough use.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,866 Posts
An SSD is a good call.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.