Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a system running: XP pro, Athlon 2400, 1024mb ram, radeon 9600Xt 128mb video card, Wd 80gb primary hard drive with 2 partitions,5Gb for OS (C:) and a 75bg partition for data (D:), 1 40 GB Seagate hdd with a 5gb partition that was to hold a clone of the C drive (Y:) and a 35bg partition to house backed up files (Z:)

I finished cloning the C: drive over to Z:, and turned off the pc to see if the clone worked. It didn't, so i reconnected the Wd drive, and now the Bios wont find any hard drives. I also tried to reinstall windows to the C: drive, but it cant find either of the hards drives.

Ithought it may be a boot sector virus, so i used the bootable Norton Cd, and it won't find the hard drives either.

Anyone wanna guess what went wrong?

your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

I am going to venture a stab and say the drive swapping which occurs during cloning got messed up / also I am not sure having such a wide spacing in your drive letter assignments is helpful for you either ? I have found through freak problems in the past not to skip drive letters at least not much if you have too / thats why when ever I use a detachable or temp drive like a USB external I always make it the last drive so when its not present the OS doesnt wig out.

Also by some chance did you use any third party partition makers to make partitions on any of the drives you used during the cloning process ????? I have seen many problems with that type of situtation / cloning progs dont like to clone drives that have had third party partition progs executed on them / I would try disconnecting the cable from the clone target / then see if you can get the original boot drive to "wake-up"

you may need to boot from the win xp cd and enter the recovery console / then once in the recovery console it may show you multiple drives / select the original boot drive / the type fixboot hit enter
after that runs type fixmbr hit enter

alsolute worse case you may have to zero fill the drives and "clean" install windows / wow thats a hard pill to swallow

you see when drives are cloned the bootable abilities of the "cloned target" actuially swap drive letter assignments / thats why when you change your bios boot order to boot from the new clone >> when it boots it will show up as the drive letter of the original drive when you examine disk management

you may want to try disconnecting the cable from the the original boot drive / change your bios to boot from the cloned drive / see if it will boot then ?????

the whole thing is a trial and error approach to recovery / until you get the bios to recognise the drive or drives you wont be booting / nothing !!

***** try this first / unplug the power cables from ALL DRIVES >>> then clear the cmos (see mobo manual for CLRTC) then reboot with drives disconnected / then after you get the "no boot drive detected" then shut down / connect the power to only the original boot drive >> re boot ??????

if that doesnt work to wake it up / then shut down >> disconnect the power cable from original boot drive and connect the cloned drive / change bios settings to boot from cloned drive ????? does that work????

post back your findings

regards

joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, we have mediocre news!

It works kinda, now i have a different problem.

I cleared the Clrtc, and booted it without any drives on it, got the error, plugged the drives in and rebooted, and windows started. It had to check the file system on Z:, and then logged me into windows (sounds good so far)

windows loaded the desktop, and attempted to load ASUS PcProbe (i think thats what it was) and immediatley crashed.

Should I remove the smaller hdd, and see if that works, seems to be conflicting.

or should i reinstall Xp on the the C drive since there is nothing there but the os, and then get the registry from the Y drive?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

I would save the Y drive registry as a last ditch / last hope kinda thing >>

you should try removing the Z drive and boot up without it / also I would boot from the windows CD and go into the "R" for repair module / (not recovery console) and click on the repair windows systems files / as long as you use your slipstreamed SP-2 disk you wont lose you windows updates.

then try re-booting / if you can get the original drive to boot into windows and be stable ???? then the best option is to wipe (hard drive eraser prog) the Z drive clean and go for a fresh "clone" job

have you used any third party partition progs on your drive ?????

cheers

joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Im up and running!

Was able to do a repair of the C drive, and now all is well. Thanks for pointing me in the righ direction linderman!

BTW, I used Windows disk managment utility to partition and format the drives, and Norton Ghost to clone them.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
You'll find using XXclone (free 30 day trial period) much easier and more reliable than ghost / and no DOS

try it for yourself and please give us your personal opinion

go to xxclone.com sign up for free test drive

there are only two windows gui consoles to input settigns in

the main window which you select the target and source drives and then click on the advanced button / there you must give three check marsk to the bootable properties box / thats it !!!

I never seen seen an easier or more reliable cloning software

regards

joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, im almost up and running.

now and then, usually when im opening a program with one or two running, the screen will just go black, like the monitor isn't receiving a signal. I go to power down the pc, and hold it for the customary 4-5 seconds, and reboot and everything is fine until i try to multitask again. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
yeah sounds like you have a hardware problem now ?????

sounds as if you push the system alittle bit a safety feature is being activated / like an overheat protection

download and run Sandra lite (free)
http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

open the monitoring program then run your system with say the system defrag running (trying to lightly work the system) then after about 15 minutes record the system temps, cpu temps and system voltages then copy them to hear

also run memtest86.com (free memory tester) you need to run this for a
minimum of 4 hours

its going to take abit of troubleshooting to get to the bottom of this one / alot of things can cause multitasking shutdowns

what brand and size PSU are you running ?????

regards

joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
cpu 56c mb 36c, I had the machine running and playing music while browing the web with multiple browsers for about 3 hours, and it dodnt crash until i started to type up some home work.

Its and AMD athlon 2400XP (2ghz) with 1gb of ram (pc2100) Theres no real pattern when it crashes, it just does it when it feels like it, i think the things possesed :3-evilwin

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
You temps are on the high side unless you are into level 8 of WOR gaming or such !! cetainly not playing music or browsing to make temps like those !!

please post your internal case fan & air flow situtation / I would remove the side cover of computer and put a house fan blowing into it / then push the snot out of it the best way you can (intense gaming is the best) and check your temps again ?????

how about dust accumulation ?????

salute

joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a case fan drawing air in from the front, with an exhaust fan in the rear, as well as the ps fan, there is one of those cones, situated over the processor. there are vents on the front and front sides of the case, so airflow is pretty much straight through. Im using round cable to improve airflow, and have all the wires tucked out of the way.. I do notice that the front intake fan isnt moving a whole heck of a lot of air, will look into a new one, will also be cleaning it out with some compressed air.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Joe, Dont want to hijack this thread but want to say that I took xxclone for a test drive on the weekend (i found it through an earlier post of yours).
I used it to backup four partitions from one drive to another.
It was so simple to use I reckon my 10 year old grandson could have used it.
Great program.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.