Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when booting xp pro from HD my laptop (hp elitebook) dies just before getting to the logon page (BSOD RDR_FILE_SYSTEM)

when booting from xp pro disk it runs through checking the system and dies just before getting to the install/repair/exit screen.

i have all drivers for the laptop backed up and am completly willing to format the HD if i could actually get in to do it.

have tried Darik book and nuke disk (fails due to disk with bad sectors ??)

any suggections for help?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If you can't boot to a CD, you might have to pull the drive, install it on another computer and run "chkdsk /r" with it installed as a secondary drive. You'll need an adapter to connect to a 2 1/2" drive, but they're cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
when booting it always asks to do checkdisk, runs 1st section fine gets to 2nd section and gets to about 20% before BSOD (not details kicks in)

its a 2.5 sata.
i have cables for the 3.5 sata in my desktop
will that work?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
when booting it always asks to do checkdisk, runs 1st section fine gets to 2nd section and gets to about 20% before BSOD (not details kicks in)

its a 2.5 sata.
i have cables for the 3.5 sata in my desktop
will that work?
Can't remember. Pretty sure you need a 2.5 to 3.5 converter for SATA.

Before you do that, I just realized you might be better off burning a disk with the HD Manufacturer's Utilities on it, and booting to it in order to check and see if the drive is even good. Think it might run the equivalent of chkdsk, also. They have some Repair options on them, usually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.