Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Don't Know Yet..
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have searched in vein to try and find a fix for this. I could boot in safe mode before updates but can't do so now. Its a new hard drive with clean XP Pro install. I tried a repair but it didn't help so I reformated drive etc, still no help other than determining that sp2 is causing the problem.

Any help would be much apreciated.

P

·
0 Posts
Fresh install xp pro then you upgraded it to sp2 via windows update and now you cant get in to safe mode i hope i understood you right. Uninstall sp2 and see if you can. Then you may consider reinstalling it. Is your system meeting the minimum requirements ?

·
I Don't Know Yet..
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes to the above, thats what I did.

I have uninstalled sp2 and it still won't safe mode.

My system is -

Athlon64 3000+
SiS-755 chipset
160gb HD 7200
512 DDR ram
ATI raseon 9550

Any ideas?

Edit-> When i try safe mode the pc hangs for 10 seconds or so on windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys. Then it reboots.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mack said:
Hi all,

I have searched in vein to try and find a fix for this. I could boot in safe mode before updates but can't do so now. Its a new hard drive with clean XP Pro install. I tried a repair but it didn't help so I reformated drive etc, still no help other than determining that sp2 is causing the problem.

Any help would be much apreciated.
How did u formatt your hdd..
Did you use the win xp cd????

try restoring to point before installing SP2.

·
I Don't Know Yet..
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I have tried a compleete reinstall of xp and I can only safe mode before security updates. If I uninstall sp2 it still wont safe mode.

An yes I used CD for format but remember its a new hard drive. I had the same problem when using previous drive.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mack said:
Ok, I have tried a compleete reinstall of xp and I can only safe mode before security updates. If I uninstall sp2 it still wont safe mode.

An yes I used CD for format but remember its a new hard drive. I had the same problem when using previous drive.

Any ideas?
Is the xp disk come with sp2 preloaded???

May i suggest downloading a win98 boot disk and formatting the computer that way, cos a format using the xp disk is not always so good

Change the boot order in the bios to floppy
Try to get your hands on a win98 start up disk link below. insert a blank floppy in to it's drive and download

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Down...system_disk.exe

Boot pc form floopy
Choose the 2nd option start windows without cd rom support.
At command prompt type
format c:

!!!!!you must have a space after "format" and between "c"
I know you have xp but u can still format using win98 boot disk

·
UK
1,128 Posts
How are you trying to access safe-mode? I wonder if it's just one access route that you have lost ... what happens if you go to Start>Run and type msconfig and then on the Boot tab check for a 'safe boot' from there?

Also, how about running a file check after installing SP2 - go to Start>Run and type sfc /scannow (there is a space required after sfc) allow the checker time to verify your essential windows files and to replace any that may have got corrupted or removed ... if some need replacing it may call for your XP CD.

Let us know how it goes.

Peter

·
I Don't Know Yet..
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help guys. I have tried the above without success. However I have solved the problem.

I reinstalled Xp pro sp1, but instead of letting automatic updates download sp2 I downloaded it from the microsoft site directly and installed it.

I can now safe mode.

It's funny I always did this in the past because I never liked automatic updates re sp2. I always felt the system wasnt stable and that was with a different pc using xp home edition.

It s odd that using 2 different pc's with different os that I would have the same kind of trouble with automatic updates, yet thats the case. The only simularity is the old pc was an Athlon Duron and this pc is an Athlon 64bit.

Anyway all seems well now

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.