Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a weird problem, basically decided i was going to switch from vista to xp, so i downloaded partition wizard and burned that to a cd and wiped my current partition (http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html) but now when i try to boot to my windows XP CD, it'll go from the bios bootsplash screen (boot priority set to cdrom -> hard disk -> removable -> nothing) and then the screen will just flicker, I tried the cd in another computer and it works just fine, but i dont think its my optical drive as it ran the partition wizard fine, albeit with a bit of screen flickering before hand.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to say specs,
Mobo - Asus striker extreme, LGA775 680i sli chipset DDR2
RAM - 2x1GB Corsair ddr2 pc2-6400
CPU - Intel e6600 dual core, 2.4GHz socket 775
gfx card - 8800 gts 320mb xfx xxx ed.
650W corsair psu

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Is there any data on the Hdd? Did you wipe the entire drive and how many partitions did you make?
PC Specs?
Prebuilt-Brand Name & Model Number.
Custom Build-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-GPU-Hdd-PSU

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wiped the entire drive and made 1 290gb ntfs partition

custom built, asus striker extreme mobo, intel e6600 cpu, corsair xms2 ram pc2-6400, western digital 320gb hard drive, corsair 650w modular psu

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Is the Hdd recognized in the Bios? Try booting from a Linux CD to bypass the Hdd.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
booted from a linux cd without any problems currently posting off ubuntu, tried to run the xp cd again and this time it got to the splashscreen for about 3 seconds, then just disappeared and continued to boot into ubuntu, hmmm

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If the Ubuntu CD ran then the problem is most likely with your Hdd. If the Ubuntu CD is not in the drive it shouldn't boot to Ubuntu unless you installed it.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
tried to boot without the hdd plugged in still doing the same thing... gah what can it be!
A little more info is needed. Are you saying it would not boot from a Linux CD with the Hdd disconnected?
My best guess about the Hdd is the partition software didn't complete the process correctly/completely.
At this point, I would use DBAN or KillDisk and zero the Hdd and start over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the linux cd boots fine in any case, it's just the windows cd.. i installed ubuntu on the hard drive for the mean time and that is all working fine so i wouldnt have thought it was the hdd

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
OK, the Linux CD boots with no issues, the Hdd runs Linux with no issues. That brings us back to a problem with your Window's CD. Is your Windows CD a retail version and is it an original disc or a copy?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it's just an old copy of xp i had lying around, but im sure it still works, also tried copies of millennium and 98 and they were both doing the same thing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.