Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an SATA virgin and have just bought a new Samsung SP080HJ SATA2 drive.

I can't seem to install or get windows to boot from it. Is there something really fundamental I am doing wrong?

I have an Asus A8N-e Motherboard and when I got the new drive I connected it up allong with my other 2 IDE drives and booted up windows (from the IDE drive).

Windows recognised, partitioned and formated the drive with no problems.

I then disconnected my 2 IDE drives leaving just the SATA drive and tried installing windows on it.

It all goes fine, Run win XP installation CD, Format drive, install windows but when the computer reboots i get an" error loading operating sytem" error.

I have gone through all of the BIOS options I can find and everything seems fine. The Boot order is CD Drive then Hard Drive. The First SATA drive is set as the main (only) hard drive.

I have tried a few different versions of windows as well (XP, XP Pro, XP Pro64)

When I tried installing windows on the SATA drive with my other IDE drives connected, a similar thing happens. It all goes well until the computer reboots.

I get as far as the screen where you select which operating system you want to boot to (The one on the IDE drive or the new one on the SATA drive). If i select the SATA drive I get a system32\NTOSKRNL.EXE missing error.

This was when I had installed XP64 Pro and am assuming that this is a file on the SATA drive but windows is looking for it on my IDE Drive

Any suggestions?????

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
at this point, with the OS installed, try changing your boot device priority in your bios, and also see if you have the option of choosing the exact HDD to boot from in your settings..

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
From what I can tell reading your manual you can not run Your Sata as standard ide ports. So what you will need to do is install the raid drivers on the HDD following the steps called out in your MOB manual on Pg 3-30 step 3.5. :sayyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wth just the SATA drve connected, I tried instaling windows, and when it reoots, changing the BIOS settings so that in BOOT\BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY, frst boot device was the Hard Drive.

Also in the BOOT\HARD DRIVES, The SATA drive is set as 1st Master SATA drive.

Still no change.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oldmn said:
From what I can tell reading your manual you can not run Your Sata as standard ide ports. So what you will need to do is install the raid drivers on the HDD following the steps called out in your MOB manual on Pg 3-30 step 3.5. :sayyes:

AHH Reading the manual, what a novel idea. I will give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having thought that I solved my boot problems from my SATA drive (i'm no longer a virgin) I was wrong.

I have sucessfully managed to install windows xp64 on my SATA drive (with the Raid drivers) and can boot from it as long as the installation cd is in the drive.

when i remove the CD and boot i get :
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupted.

I have Win xp installed on my first IDE drive, my second IDE drive is a non system drive, Drive E is my SATA drive with XP64 installed on it.

If i select win XP from the windows boot options all is good. Win XP64 only works with the CD in the drive.

Any suggestions.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I have that board (deluxe version)and basically the same setup with ATA drives also.

What I would do if I were you is to set your BIOS setting to standard, except the Raid will need to be turned off (comes from the factory as Enabled, must be Disabled if not using Raid) or it will search for raid features. Also, make sure your boot order is:

CDRom
Floppy
Sata drive

(You have to set the priority for drives and the boot order for this board, but they are both in the same place)

What you need to do with that board (I have the deluxe version), is make sure you are using (if your board has them) the standard Sata ports and not the optional Raid Sata ports.

Here is how I set mine up:

I unconnected the ATA drives, get the Sata drivers off my Maxtor utility disk and put them on a floppy.

When the OS disk install starts, you have to tap F6 (it will say, if you have any specific drivers, tap F6 now) when it asks about other drivers (like SCSI, etc), then when it keeps going after that and stops and says load those drivers now....load the Sata drivers from your drive A. Then, away it goes and installs after you load them.

When finished, put your ATA drives back in and it works forever and forever..........well, so far it has.

Hey, what can I say, it worked like a charm for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried installing with the raid turned off and only the one SATA drive attached but couldn't get it to work. It just said error loading operating system. (with only the one drive attached the BIOS set that as the first boot hard drive)

I have enabled the raid option for the SATA drive in the BIOS and have added it to a striping array (which still works for only a single drive). I then install the raid drivers by pressing F6 when installing the OS and it seems to be ok as long as the CD is in.

My boot order is
CD Rom, then
Hard Drive
(I don't bother with the floppy)
I didn't See an SATA option but I'll look again.

The boot priority is set to
1 - Maxtor IDE Drive (Drive C)
2 - Nvidia Array (My Samsung SATA Drive E)
3 - Maxtor IDE Drive (drive D)

Do you mean I have to install the OS onto the SATA drive with no other drives attached so it is recognised as Drive C, then add the other drives in and possible install my second OS after that?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
smon said:
My boot order is
CD Rom, then
Hard Drive
(I don't bother with the floppy)
I didn't See an SATA option but I'll look again.

The boot priority is set to
1 - Maxtor IDE Drive (Drive C)
2 - Nvidia Array (My Samsung SATA Drive E)
3 - Maxtor IDE Drive (drive D)

Do you mean I have to install the OS onto the SATA drive with no other drives attached so it is recognised as Drive C, then add the other drives in and possible install my second OS after that?
Hi,

Your boot order priority is set wrong if you want to boot from SATA. That needs to be first. You have it set up to boot from the ATA drive now.

I would put that A: drive back in there (if you have one), because you might need it to load drivers and it always looks for A: first. Just my personal opinion.

Yep, no other drives attached (hard drives that is). That is being done a lot, because you need that C: letter to be the Sata and with only that in there, it will assign it that letter. When you add the other drives, then it will assign different letters to them and not the C: which is recongized as THE boot drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only had the IDE drive as the first boot device because I had my OS installed on it first and then I added my SATA drive and installed a second OS (XP64) on it. Windows then gives you the boot menu to select which OS you want to start.

I have accepted that that just won't work. As you say, if I want to boot from the SATA drive it has to be drive C.

The solutuion I have just found to having a dual boot system is to install windows on 2 drives (one on my IDE and one on my SATA) seperatley with nothing else attached so they are both assigned dirve C.

After I updated my BIOS i had a new option to press F8 as the computer starts which brings up a boot menu letting me select which drive to start from (Very useful).

As long as each drive had windows installed without any other hard drives attached, it will boot to it fine.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I am glad you got it going. I guess somewhere I did not realize you were looking for a dual boot system. Don't know how I missed that somehow in what you said. Therefore, did not mention that area.

What I have done with mine is to have a boot drive and then Ghost (Norton) that drive over to another drive so I am protected at all times if something goes amiss. I have two Sata drives and a Pata (like you have) that I ghost to. Works like a charm. I like to experiment with new things, so am protected if something gets messed up. If I screw it up and the restore feature somehow does not solve it, I just Ghost the IDE drive data back to the Sata drives.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've not heard of Norton Ghost before. I have a couple of hard drives in USB caddies, would I be able to use Ghost to back my system drives up to them?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I have not done that, but so no reason why you could not if they are hard drives per se. What I do is keep a PATA IDE hard drive in my system and Ghost to that. Also, if you want a cheap copy of Ghost (old one is pretty darn good), then you can go on Ebay and pick up a copy for less than ten bucks including shipping. Have not been there for a while, but the last time I was there saw a few for that price. If you get one of the packages for the 2003 systemworks version, they are a great program.

I found this quote in the help section of my Norton Ghost version (I am presently using the newer one, but the older one is probably better):

Norton Ghost supports saving backup image files to a network hard disk or to a local hard disk (including USB and FireWire drives, Zip, JAZ, SuperDisk, and magneto-optical). It does not support saving backup image files directly to a tape drive. To save backups to tape, save the backup to another drive, then use your existing tape backup strategy to save the backup image to tape.

Might be worth considering for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.