Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, long story short, I changed my OS from W2kPro to XP, but had W2k still showing up on the hard drive (had to choose XP at startup)... I went into the registry to try and remove it. Now, when I boot up my computer it says there is an issue with system32 and to insert disc to repair. When I switch my boot up driver to cd it says "Invalid Boot Diskette/Insert BOOT diskette in A:"... I can't get the thing to boot from the CD and I don't have anything saved on floppy to boot from! This is on an older Dell Dimension L800r PIII. Anyone got any ideas? PLEASE HELP!

*edit* I disconnected the floppy entirely and changed a few of the settings. Now the CD kicks in (audible), but I'm still getting this message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"

Any help?

·
Registered
344 Posts
austinbrtndr said:
Ok, long story short, I changed my OS from W2kPro to XP, but had W2k still showing up on the hard drive (had to choose XP at startup)... I went into the registry to try and remove it. Now, when I boot up my computer it says there is an issue with system32 and to insert disc to repair. When I switch my boot up driver to cd it says "Invalid Boot Diskette/Insert BOOT diskette in A:"... I can't get the thing to boot from the CD and I don't have anything saved on floppy to boot from! This is on an older Dell Dimension L800r PIII. Anyone got any ideas? PLEASE HELP!

*edit* I disconnected the floppy entirely and changed a few of the settings. Now the CD kicks in (audible), but I'm still getting this message:

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Any help?
Jeez. You could have just upgraded to Winxp with the Xp disk, and made life much easier on yourself. Anyways, what you did was install Winxp on top of Win2k and created an additional partition, thus dualboot both XP and Win2k.

Boot to your Xp disk, select R for repair and use the fixboot, and Fixmbr command to repair the registry.

PS - You change boot options through boot.ini, not through the registry.

Good luck! Eric.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I wouldn't even try to repair it. I would boot from the CD, delete the entire partition (or any old 2000 partition), and install XP on the unpartitioned space.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Your right on Eric. If it were me I would do a complete format of the drive.
Using kill disk or some other than windows utility. Do a fresh install..
My two cents,,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guys, thanks for the replies, but, as the title of the thread says, my computer won't let me boot from the cd... I've put in the original disc, and every time it says :

I know the CD-ROM drive is working, because I can hear it kick on. I don't have a floppy drive on the laptop I'm currently using, so I guess that's out of the question. Any other ideas?

Oh, and p.s. I did use the WinXP disc for upgrade, but XP and 2kPro are not compatible, thus the dual files. Also, there was no partition created. This isn't the first time I've had to do this. When I first got the computer from a friend, the drive was partitioned with 2kPro on one drive and XP on another. My XP disc was damaged, so I reloaded 2kPro. Now I've got a new XP disc, but can't find my 2kPro...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Then it looks like you are stuck. If you had a floppy drive, you could download and boot from the setup disks. And they say the floppy is dead. :rolleyes:

If you can't boot from the Windows CD, then I would attempt to burn some kind of partitioning program onto a blank CD, or even use a Linux LiveCD to delete the partition(s). That's all I can think of at the moment.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
You have a internet connection, you must be using another pc. Does that
pc have a floppy drive? If so do a google for kill disk. There should be
a free download. Extract it, open it, whatever to the floppy disk. Set your
pc to boot to a: run kill disk. Then after that reset your boot order to
cd rom drive and install xp. Im sorry, forgot you have no floppy, you must
find a third party formatting utility that you can boot from cd. Kill disk may
do that, do the read me for the program. I know there are other programs
that will do this, its just that Im partial to kill disk,,Im sure norton probably
has a utility. Point is you need to format that thing with a third party
utility..Imho

·
Registered
310 Posts
Austin...
Can you boot into Win2000 anymore?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I'm using a friend's laptop in my house in front of my busted *** pc... the laptop has no floppy... already thought of that... I can't access W2k, either... nada... does anyone know of a freeware disC that will clear the hard drive at bootup? I don't know if it will work, but I'm willing to give anything a shot right now....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was done before I ever posted for help... here's a rundown of what's been done:

Boot order has been checked
Tried to load to XP with install disc
Tried to run to W2kPro
Tried both in Safe Modes with/without install cd
Tried debugging mode
Completely disconnected floppy drive
Tried adjusting Master/Slave; Primary/Secondary settings

I *think* that may be it... now, I can burn cd's with the laptop (hopefully to wipe the HD at bootup) and connect to my desktop via LAN. Is there anything I can do with that?

·
Registered
344 Posts
austinbrtndr said:
That was done before I ever posted for help... here's a rundown of what's been done:

Boot order has been checked
Tried to load to XP with install disc
Tried to run to W2kPro
Tried both in Safe Modes with/without install cd
Tried debugging mode
Completely disconnected floppy drive
Tried adjusting Master/Slave; Primary/Secondary settings

I *think* that may be it... now, I can burn cd's with the laptop (hopefully to wipe the HD at bootup) and connect to my desktop via LAN. Is there anything I can do with that?
Are the disks not working?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
use DBAN boot & nuke

it will load to and run from a cd and it will erase all corrupt files by zero filling the drive / it will be just like it was new right out of the box
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

after running this / you computer will be then "willing" to partition and format clean

regards

joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He shoots he scores!!! While the program is still running and has been for 5 minutes or so and still only has 1% completed, it's finally doing something different and it looks promising... so let me thank you very much for the help and the link! I'll have to be sure and pass this to some of my friends as the new Britney Spears cd or something... :sayyes: you rawk!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
LOL that would be kinda funnny tell them its a faster defrag prog

WOW that would be cruel !! always remeber there is NO recovery from DBAN

when it wipes its gone for good !!!!!!!

joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.