Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I won't bother creating a new post because it's sort of related :p

whosdat said:
the harddrive has to be formatted and have the installation of windows take place in the computer [ motherboard ] that it will be used in.
I've just taken my harddrive from my old computer and put it into a new one and when I boot the comp I select whether to boot in Safe Mode etc but then it goes back to the start and boots again in a big scary loop lol. I was wondering if the same thing applies here (reformatting to use the different motherboard) and if there is any way around it?

Sorry if it's already been answered but I only scanned through the thread and I might have missed it.

EDIT: I'll put a little bit more info in :p

I'm running XP on the harddrive but originally installed ME onto the computer I'm putting the harddrive into. I haven't really tried messing with it or anything yet because I haven't got time and I'm sure you clever people would be able to tell me a lot faster than it would take me to find out :p

Would booting from the XP installation CD work and then choosing upgrade (because you can't upgrade from ME so I was wondering if it would look at the installation on the harddrive or the one on the motherboard) or would I just have to completely reformat? (Which I REALLY don't want to do :p)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Putting a hard drive with an existing OS into another computer that has different hardware.

OK,
This seems to be a subject that people are having a hard time with.
The OS on the drive is configured with drivers from the original system hardware. When you place that drive into a different system, with different hardware, most the times the OS will not have drivers for it. This can be a big issue especially today with SATA drives and controllers and the different chipsets. Widows is supplied with a basic default set of drivers that will get a system going. After the OS is booted up for the first time, the chipset drivers must be installed to optimize performance of the bus and controllers. Whether you have an Intel, nVidia, AMD, SIS, or VIA chipset, the system will not perform and sometimes will not work if these drivers are not installed.
Now you have installed a HDD with an OS from a different system in your computer. What basically happens is the OS is seeing a totally different system than what it is set up for. Not only is the hardware different, but the drivers are different also. Windows will now have to look for the drivers. If it doesn't have the drivers, those devices will not work. If it doesn't have the correct controller drivers, the OS will not boot. Because the controller drivers are not there, the OS doesn't see a hard drive.

Think of it as one day you woke up in somebody elses bed. You do not know this person. You do not know his lifestyle. You do not know where he works, you do not know anything about him but you have to function normally without any instructions on his life. The computer is the same way. You had an OS on a drive, then suddenly you put in into another computer that is totally foreign to it.

I am not saying that it could not work, because it can. There are certain things you must do. First thing is backup any critical data.
When you put the drive into the other computer and it doesn't boot correctly, run a system repair. To run a system repair, you need the original Windows install CD or recovery CD.
There are other ways of doing it, like running sysprep, but that might be a little harder than it looks.
If all else fails, load a fresh OS.

I always stress loading a fresh install on a new system because over time the registry gets flooded with unneccisary or useless entries, the OS can have Spyware that gets unnoticed, and just junk that never gets used. It's like eating leftovers forever.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, got another problem now. Because the drivers installed were for the hardware in the other computer, it isn't recognising the CD drive so I can't boot from CD to run system restore or even perform a clean install.

Appreciate the help :)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
domharding said:
Ok, got another problem now. Because the drivers installed were for the hardware in the other computer, it isn't recognising the CD drive so I can't boot from CD to run system restore or even perform a clean install.

Appreciate the help :)
This would be a problem other than the drivers. Sounds more like a boot sequence problem because it boots to the hard drive and not the CD ROM drive. Check the boot sequence in the BIOS and make sure the CD ROM drive is first.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
"reusing an old OS is like eating left overs forever" WOW how true !!!!!

that senario could not be explained any better !!!!!

cheers to Crazijoe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.