1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
OS build 19042.985

I bought a new monitor twice the width of my old one. I would like to put more shortcut icons in the taskbar but can't. From my last icon on the left to the notification area on the right, there is an area that equals almost 3/4 the width of the monitor and it is empty.

I read the settings on personalization. They were no help. They alluded that using small icons would free up space for more icons. There is more space, but the icons will not go into that space.

I can get 8 icons in the task bar, that's all. It doesn't matter whether the icons are large or small. When I try to drag and drop the ninth icon into the taskbar, it will not go. There is plenty of space for it but it wont go in. When I try to drop it in, a highlight note says 'Pin to File Explorer'.

The taskbar is not locked and the links are expanded to almost the full length of the empty space. I have watched several videos on how to move the icons to the center but they don't help. I don't want to center them. I just want to add more.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,212 Posts
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"JumpListItems_Maximum"=dword:00000019

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm on the right path, I don't see JumpListItems_Maximum"=dword:00000019. It jumps from Icons only to LaunchTo. If it's something I have to add, I've forgotten how.

·
29,212 Posts
Run an sfc scan (sfc /scannow). Maybe we'll get lucky. Just to be sure, first check again that you're in the right place in the registry.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Run an sfc scan (sfc /scannow). Maybe we'll get lucky. Just to be sure, first check again that you're in the right place in the registry.
My path matches yours. While waiting on scannow, I found this at MS community.

Start Regedit.exe and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Create a registry DWORD value named JumpListItems_Maximum and set its value accordingly.

(I've set mine to 25 (Decimal), but it displays 24 items.)

Exit Regedit.exe

Here is the REG file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

scannow found and repaired corrupt files but the registry page still looks the same.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My path matches yours. While waiting on scannow, I found this at MS community.

Start Regedit.exe and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Create a registry DWORD value named JumpListItems_Maximum and set its value accordingly.

(I've set mine to 25 (Decimal), but it displays 24 items.)

Exit Regedit.exe

Here is the REG file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

scannow found and repaired corrupt files but the registry page still looks the same.
I re read my above reply and see that the text I got from MS Community could be mistaken for my words. Example: (I've set mine to 25 (Decimal), but it displays 24 items.) This was written by a MS Community member, not by me. Sorry about that.

My problem still exists and I'm hoping someone can help me with a solution.

·
29,212 Posts
That's the controlling number. Maybe someone else has an idea. Just a shot, but run this: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and re-boot.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I created a registry DWORD value named JumpListItems_Maximum. After reading that the MS Community member set his value at 25 and was able to get a display of 24, I set my value at 24.

It did not work. Nothing changed. I went back and changed the value to 19 as shown in your instructions. It works. I'm filling my Taskbar with much used shortcuts.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked out DISM at the MS website. It looks like a sophisticated piece of software. I downloaded the PDF as well. I'm still totally in the dark. Aren't there some papers on its use by first timers like me who don't have degrees in computer sciences.

·
29,212 Posts
Just copy and paste into Power Shell or CMD what I put in Post #7 . That's all there is to it. Easy Peasy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts