Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story..

My son brought home a Secondhand PC. Due to the fact that there was no Disk inside we put in a new 80GB IDE, fresh install of XP (slipstreamed with SP2). We had a few problems but that has been resolved now.
We come to adding him to my home network.

I added an IP address 192.168.0.4 255.255.255.0 to the NIC and added that address to Zonelarm.

I put my workgroup name in the control panel EXACTLY as I have done on all the PC's on my network.

He opened up msn and started chatting away with his mates.
I opened up "entire Network" and saw the other PC's on the network. Even swapped a few files between PC's using the shared doc's folder.

He opened up Internet Explorer but could not access any websites.

I have a USB DSL modem attached to my main PC. I have this as 192.168.0.1
and it's the gateway.

I have added my gateway address to his NIC properties along with the DNS address which points to the gateway.

I have decared that the PC that hosts the gateway is an ICS/NAT gateway within Zonelarm.

I have disabled windows firewall on both his PC and my gateway.

What haven't I done and why can't I get on the net from his PC.
I never had this problem before

I have been going round and round inn circles trying to find out what I have missed.

My old PC can access the www and the network whilst running the both the WinMe & the WinXP Boot. I have renamed all IP's to point to the other PC after moving the DSL modem there. Since I had been using 192.168.1.1 as my old IP plus Kerio winroute lite in place of ICS. I have had to link all my PC's through to the new gateway address of 192.168.0.1 which is now the WinXP "router". I changed the address to 192.168.0.12 in both OS's. MAde all the necessary changes to allow me access to the net and I see both local network & the www.

So how come I can alter one PC on the same network to get network access whilst not the other?
Could it be some anomaly of Zonalarm? I seem to rememmebr years back that if I didn't have Zonealarm on both pc's I wasn't allowed to comunicate with either from the other. But I hadn't noticed anything like that in recent years.

Any sugestions gratefully recieved. btw I have clicked on repair to see if that helped but so far zilch.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK .. I found out what I was missing ..
Unbeknown to me, my son had downloaded all the drivers etc from Gigabyte and installed them. Part of the motherboard install is the NIC which is NVidia. It also has a firewall application which, in spite of being OFF and in spite of my having disabled the Windows Firewall, had a setting which combined NVidia and Windows Firewall Features. I had already tried setting the NVidia to medium without success then found the other option which allowed me to choose just NVidia, just Windows Firewall or the two together.By setting to Nvidia only I suddenly found that I was able to get internet access and the setting was still set to medium.
Thanks to anyone who started to ponder this problem .. it was a case of too many cooks .. I never saw what my son had been doing to understand the added facilities he was installing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.