Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am unable to access any web-sites using IE7. When IE7 initially loads all I get is a blank page (i.e. not my specified homepage. When I try to type an address in the menu bar (i.e. www.google.com), I get an error dialog stating that "http://www.google.com is currently unavailable" I use Firefox (which is still working with no problem) for 90% of internet activity so I'm not sure when exactly the problem occurred.

I have tried uninstalling everything back to the last time I recall it working, but that didn't solve the problem. Additionally I am unable to close down the IE7 window normally (i.e. using the "X" in the top right corner), instead I am forced to kill the window using the task manager.

One other piece of information that might be helpful. I have a second user account that had been created BEFORE this problem occurred. The IE7 in that account still works normally. However when I create a new account, the new account has the same IE7 problem that I am having with my main account.

Something else that might be useful, web queries from inside MS Office 2003 products still work. I believe that these use some version of IE, but could be one that was installed specifically for the webqueries (i.e. not using the system default IE.

I have tried using the Vista auto repair (using the Vista disk at boot-up), but that didn't seem to have any affect.

My guess is that one of the settings or libraries has gotten corrupted. I am familiar with registry editing, but really only know enough to be dangerous. Typically (from past experience) I would just reinstall the product to solve such a problem. Unfortunately, with Vista I would have to reinstall the entire OS which will wipe out all my user files, so I am holding that as a last resort.

I suppose I could have some spyware/malware on my computer, but I have run SpyBot several times, and have already passed my HJT log through that topic here on this forum, and it was clean.

I have been trying to get this problem solved for several months, now, but no one seems to have a clue.

My computer specs are as follows.
Dell Inspiron E1505
2 GB RAM
2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Windows Vista Home Premium

· Registered
24 Posts
Just a question (or 2)

1. What happens if you go to Start>run
type cmd <enter>
Type ping www.google.com

does it resolve the host?

2. You say it works on one user but not the rest. Are the permissions the same? Have administrator permissions?

3. Have you tried to load IE without Add-ons? Maybe you have an add-on thats messed up.

4. Could be DNS related try Start>run
Cmd <enter>
Ipconfig /flushdns <enter>
open IE and see if that works

Hope I helped a little.

Thanks!!!

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) Yes can ping www.google.com. Note, I can connect to the internet using another browser (i.e. Firefox or Opera).

2) All the user accounts are "admin" accounts.

3) Yes I have tried running IE without addons. Still has the same problem.

4) Ok, this one is new, I haven't tried it. However I have now, and unfortunately still no effect.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know. It worked great for 8 months, then all of the sudden, it stopped. I suppose it could have been an Micro-Trend update that caused the problem. Do you know how to "allow" it in Micro-Trend, or how to just temporarily shut down Micro-Trend to check?

Thanks,

Britt

· TSF Emeritus
15,171 Posts
Hello again,

It has been a few years since I have used TM...

Open up Trend Micro, click Network Security => Personal Firewall, double click on Direct connection.

If Internet explorer is already listed make sure there is a tick next to it, then look under Connection for IE, make sure it is Out, Access= All, Protocol = TCP

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, your memory is very good. About the only thing you left out was having to click on the "Exceptions" tab. :)

Anyway, I first tried to just shut down TM, and that didn't seem to have any effect. Then I check the settings for IE and it was already as you suggested, so . . .

· TSF Emeritus
15,171 Posts
Have you installed anything recently?

Can you please post (a screen shot if you like) of what the error message is.

A solution if you like, the is an extension for FF, called IEtab, it lets you view things that require IE inside of FF.

· Registered
32 Posts
Since firefox is still working this may not help you. But it won't hurt to try.

Open up a command prompt and type this:

netsh winsock reset

You may have to restart the system after.

Also try these 2 programs.

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html I have used this one on various systems and it finds quite a bit of stuff, including rootkits.

and

http://www.misec.net/ (Trojan Hunter 5) It sometimes picks up stuff that other programs miss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.