Tech Support banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initially I wanted to expose my port 3000 to the internet via port forwarding. After going to my first(inner) router's (that my desktop is directly connected to) configuration page I realized that its WAN(external) parameter's are as follows:

1. IP address = 172.20.1.174(this comes into private IP range 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255)
2. Subnet mask = 255.255.0.0
3. Deffault gateway = 172.20.0.1

From 172.20.0.1 being deffault gateway I infered that it's my second(outer which is likely under ISP's possession) router's IP. So then I tried to access it's configuration page to make double port forwarding. But in response I got tcp connection refused.

Does this mean that my ISP doesn't provide such services as port forwarding by not allowing access to the second router, or it's me who doesn't understand something? Maybe second(outer) router's configuration page does have to reside on 172.20.0.1 IP? Or maybe ISP doesn't allow to access this page from inside of the network(because the are about 2^16 other IP addesses under this second rounter beside me, so it would bring mayhem and destruction if one person could change settings for all users).

Please excuse me for poor english, and superficial understaning of NETWORKS.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,971 Posts

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,158 Posts
It's possible that this router is controlled by the ISP and does not access the management page HTTP.. Could be CLI or others... If 172.20.0.1 is owned by the ISP, then have them open the port on the firewall by making a formal request.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Accessing the router's web-based setup page

After connecting your computer to the router, make sure that the LAN or wired light corresponding to the port where the computer is connected to is ON.

Step 1:
Launch a web browser.

Step 2:
Enter the router's default IP address, 192.168.2.1, in the Address bar and press [Enter]. If it doesn't work, check your router's IP address. For instructions, click here.

Step 3:
You will be asked to log in using the router's admin password. If you have not set a custom password, just leave the Password field blank then click Submit.
NOTE: The router's administrator password can be updated on the web-based setup page.
For Dashboard users, you will be asked to enter the administrator password you created upon setup.
You should now be able to access the router's web-based setup page and configure its settings.
Hope this helps you.

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,158 Posts
@jessewalter375 the above instructions will not work, that is not the gateway addres, the OP is already aware as to how to access the Router page, he has done it with the other router..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chances are, if you don't have the ISP provided router in your residence and just have an ethernet connection provided by your ISP, then the ISP gateway is likely shared with multiple different customers. And access to the configuration page is probably not possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts