Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all of you, I was wondering if anyone here would know how to solve my problem:

I recently bought a new 80GB hard drive (internal), and installed windows XP on it. However, I cannot access the internet at all... I have a high speed modem, which is properly installed (all the lights are green) but when I try to access windows updates, it says "Page cannot be found". Every other websites as well, for that matter.

Strangely, when I unplug my 80GB hard drive and plug back my old 120GB one, the internet works perfectly fine. Is there a special setting I need to change for the internet to work, after installing windows XP Profesionnal? My ISP's installation CD for my high speed modem doesn't even work either, because at some point I need to connect to the internet to register my access number, and it fails. I tryied resetting the modem many times, but to no avail. All the wires are plugged perfectly, but that is not the problem since the internet works on my other hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if more information is require to solve the problem.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Reg:

First, when U first chose your ISP, installed its software, how did U get online THEN TO register yr access #?? Orrr, did U already have say a dialup connection and then switch to the high speed modem?Is it a cable modem or a DSL modem?

U imply--- your MODEM IS your ISP & those R NOT 2 SEPARATE THINGS. I think the experts here will want identities of the above in specifics. WHOOOOO is your Internet Service Provider???

Finally, IF you transfered data from your larger, original HDD to your new 80Gb one----assuming U did ....how did U do that?
And wut OS were U running on your original drive???

If the initial confusion I posted about isn't the issue, though in my noobiness I can't believe it isn't....the Long Way Home which I doubt is necessary....would B 4 U to hook up both drives, reformat your new 120 GB one and employ XXclone, trial run version U would download to your old drive to copy everything from your original drive---including all your internet software, etc. onto your new....with XX the size of the respective volumes is not an issue......then, if original OS is old, U could do upgrade install of XP on your new drive.

Or even hook up both drives, and drag and drop wut U need from your old one onto your new one.

But that is sickening, also truly insane and, I am sure, not necessary.

Jill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for your replies!

Ariesjill: When I first registered to the internet, I received a high speed modem (From Bell Sympatico) and as I followed the instructions in the installation CD, the internet started to work as soon as all cables were connected and the modem's switch was on.

I am not sure what you mean by "transfering" my data, since I never mentionned such a thing. The reason I bought a new hard drive is because I caught a virus on my old 120GB one, and on random occasions, it locks up or restarts by itself. So my plan was to install windows XP Professional on my new 80GB (They didn't had 120GB Hard drives in stock where I bought it, which explains why my new one contains less storage space) then download all the windows updates, video card updates, anti virus definitions, etc. and then format my old 120GB hard drive and connect it as slave. Before formating my old 120GB hard drive, I want to make sure my new one works. The problem is, I cannot access the internet on my new hard drive, so I cannot download any updates. I have to switch back to my old hard drive for the internet to work, but even then, I have to write this message in safe mode then save it in notepad, restart, and quickly copy/paste it in this forum before the hard drive crashes.

On my original 120 GB hard drive I was running windows XP home edition, but on my new 80GB hard drive, I installed windows XP Professional.

So in short, I installed Windows XP Professional on my newly purchased 80GB Hard drive, and I am trying to access the internet on it, and I was hoping to get some help on how to make it work. On my old 120 GB it works, but since it crashes randomly, it's not very reliable.

dai: Hm, I am unsure what this function is, so this may be the problem. I do know that I selected "select IP automatically" during the windows XP installation, is this what you mean?

Kalim: The connection says it's connected (the one with the windows firewall) I tried to remove the windows firewall as well, but it doesn't seem to do any difference. There is another icon named "Gateway" I believe, that says "connecting" but never connects.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Reg:

Thanks so much for trying to explain; all this waaaaaay beyond me, forget, most of it still not clear to me; I will leave this to the experts, since still not sure re your ISP and the software.....also hope you eradicated the virus on your original drive before anything.....waaaaaay beyond me.

Will follow the thread and look forward to resolution and learning, I am sure the collective intelligence will lead to that.
Best,
Jill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Dai: By ipconfig you mean in run, and type ipconfig, correct? Here's what it says:

Window IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : no-domain-set.bellcanada
IP Adress ..............................: 192.168.x.xx
Subnet Mask .........................: 255.255.xxx.x
Default Gateway ....................: 192.168.x.x

(For a security matter, I put "x"s for the last numbers)

both hard drives give me the same message, however on my 80GB, the internet does not work, but it works on my 120GB... For more than a week now I've been trying to figure out what the problem is, but to no avail. I tryied formatting my 80GB completely and re-installing windows again, but still no internet...

Ariesjill: Thank you for your concern, however no matter how many times I delete the virus, it always return. Or should I say "they" always return. Everytime I do a scan with Super antispyware, BitDefender, AVG ant-spyware, AVG free edition, and even PC bug Doctor, threats and/or errors are detected and fixed, but the next day I do a scan, and a whole bunch of viruses are found again. When I start windows normally, a message pops saying "windows installer, preparing to install..." then soon afterwards the famous and feared by all "blue screen of death" appears.

Luckily, I can in running Windows in safe mode with networking, and it seems to work fine (exept I cannot watch videos and play games) Unfortunaly, CheckDisk in unable to fix the problem either (blue screen of death appears in the middle of the scan) and system restore is unable to restore the system to an earlier date. So I believe all hope is lost, and a format is required. However before doing so, I would like to make my 80GB hard drive functional, but I need the internet to download all the windows updates, patches, virus definitions and drivers, otherwise I will end up catching a bunch of viruses again.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
As per dai, check TCP/IP settings on your old drive and duplicate those on the new drive. If you can’t get them off the old drive, call your ISP. Most likely everything should be set to automatic but that is dependent upon your ISP. The general route you want to follow:

Start>right click network connections>rite click on your lan connection>properties>”connect using” box>configure. Make sure your Ethernet card is enabled> In connect using box, check the box and highlight “TCP/IP”>rite click properties. check the DNS and IP settings. Then,>advanced button>check the settings under each tab (DNS, WINS, Options.

If your using USB to connect, you may have to install USB drivers for the modem off the ISP disk. If possible, connect with Ethernet though. Check device manager>network adapters to make sure your nic card is enabled no yellow exclamations.

When you switch the drives, unplug the power cord from the modem for one minute, plug it in, wait one minute, then turn computer on.

Question about the gateway in network connections- does your “modem” have antennae?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hwm54112: Thank you very much for the reply! I will try all of these options at once!

As for your question, my "modem" (SpeedStream 4200 Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem) does not have antenaes, and it is connected with an ethernet cable, not USB. Although now that you mention it, I will also try connecting by USB to see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your help everyone, it seems the problem is finally solved!

After many hours of trial and error, I decided to contact my ISP and inform them of the situation. I followed their instructions on the phone, they told me I had to type an IP number in internet explorer, and go configure a few settings. The internet now works perfectly on my 80GB hard drive!

Again, I am truly grateful for all of your help. All of you were the stairway to the solution.

Ah yes, and I wish you all a happy new year!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Betta than good---huge relief....also another lesson re the Horse's mouth and first identifying the Horse. I keep having to learn this ovah and ovah.

Jill
Healthy, Happy, Fabulous New Year!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.