Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,312 Posts
You have the disk partitioned as MBR (Master Boot Record), you need to partition using GPT partitioning. This will not only allow the larger partitions, but you'll get to use the full 5TB of the disk, currently yoiu are only using around 4TB, the rest is not visible at all using MBR.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,312 Posts
Did you try deleting all the partitions on the disk first, and then create the GUID partition. GUID and GPT are the same thing, just different acronyms.

I just fired up DiskGenius, selected my 500GB USB drive, and then selected Disk from the menu bar. On the drop-down I selected Convert to GUID Partition Table (P).
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

Next, I clicked on the SaveAll button.

The result was the drive partition was changed from MBR to GUID.

Rectangle Purple Font Parallel Screenshot

It all took about 15 seconds.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,312 Posts
Right click on the left hand box where it says DISK1 and create a partition. If it asks for initialization, do that first, then create the partition. Obviously, you want to create a GPT (GUID) partition to use the whole capacity. You can then format it NTFS and you're on your way.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,312 Posts
Bummer, looks like you need to use something like DiskGenius to format it, I thought Windows would give you the option. I happen to have a 5GB backup drive that I plug into this system, and it's formatted GUID, so I know Windows reads them. It came formatted, and I never saw the need to format it again, I just used it.

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

1 - 7 of 7 Posts