Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 5 TB Seagate external hard drive. I accidentally made a recovery disc on that drive. I've tried to reformat the drive so that I can use the 5 TB of space for storage, however, I can only access half. I assume it's partitioned and I've tried deleting the partition from instructions I found online. I'm not sure what I can do but I attached a screenshot.

I would greatly and truly appreciate help!

It's disk 3 and as you can see, S has roughly half of the space available. The unallocated part is the thing I'm trying to remove.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As stated, you need to Initialize or Covert this drive to GPT (GUID), not MBR.
Do this with a 3rd party app like Minitool Partition Wizard or DiskGenius in my signature. Select your Disk, go up to the toolbar to Disk/Convert to GPT or GUID Don't forget to Apply after selecting the task. After it's converted and you have restarted the computer, Return to the Partitioning tool or Disk Management, Delete the partition so the drive is all Unallocated Space. Then right click the space and Create a new Simple Volume (Partition) make it the full size of the drive, format it NTFS.
Thank you both very much. I downloaded both the DiskGenius program and the Minitool Partition Wizard. I'm not having any luck. When I use DiskGenius, I followed the instructions of selecting the disk and then up to the toolbar to Dis/Convert to GUID (GPT wasn't an option). Nothing happens after that so I looked for "apply" but I'm not seeing it anywhere. Is there something else I can select?

With the Minitool program, everything is grayed out and I can take no actions at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. I think I'm almost there. I did the cleaning of the drive I loaded Disk Management but I'm not sure how to partition and format the drive in there. Here's what I'm seeing now.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The Drive shows as Partitioned and the space is FREE. You need to select the FREE space and go to the toolbar and press Delete, do the same for any other partitions on the drive. Then the drive should be all Unallocated Space then you can go to the Toolbar and create a New Partition. Be sure to press Save All on the toolbar to keep changes.

If you still have a problem, you can select the FREE space and choose to Erase FREE space. Add Unallocated Space to Partition without Data Loss - DiskGenius

Delete is grayed out.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

1 - 11 of 11 Posts