Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 5 TB Seagate external hard drive. I accidentally made a recovery disc on that drive. I've tried to reformat the drive so that I can use the 5 TB of space for storage, however, I can only access half. I assume it's partitioned and I've tried deleting the partition from instructions I found online. I'm not sure what I can do but I attached a screenshot.

I would greatly and truly appreciate help!

It's disk 3 and as you can see, S has roughly half of the space available. The unallocated part is the thing I'm trying to remove.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,378 Posts
You have the disk partitioned as MBR (Master Boot Record), you need to partition using GPT partitioning. This will not only allow the larger partitions, but you'll get to use the full 5TB of the disk, currently yoiu are only using around 4TB, the rest is not visible at all using MBR.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,866 Posts
As stated, you need to Initialize or Covert this drive to GPT (GUID), not MBR.
Do this with a 3rd party app like Minitool Partition Wizard or DiskGenius in my signature. Select your Disk, go up to the toolbar to Disk/Convert to GPT or GUID Don't forget to Apply after selecting the task. After it's converted and you have restarted the computer, Return to the Partitioning tool or Disk Management, Delete the partition so the drive is all Unallocated Space. Then right click the space and Create a new Simple Volume (Partition) make it the full size of the drive, format it NTFS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As stated, you need to Initialize or Covert this drive to GPT (GUID), not MBR.
Do this with a 3rd party app like Minitool Partition Wizard or DiskGenius in my signature. Select your Disk, go up to the toolbar to Disk/Convert to GPT or GUID Don't forget to Apply after selecting the task. After it's converted and you have restarted the computer, Return to the Partitioning tool or Disk Management, Delete the partition so the drive is all Unallocated Space. Then right click the space and Create a new Simple Volume (Partition) make it the full size of the drive, format it NTFS.
Thank you both very much. I downloaded both the DiskGenius program and the Minitool Partition Wizard. I'm not having any luck. When I use DiskGenius, I followed the instructions of selecting the disk and then up to the toolbar to Dis/Convert to GUID (GPT wasn't an option). Nothing happens after that so I looked for "apply" but I'm not seeing it anywhere. Is there something else I can select?

With the Minitool program, everything is grayed out and I can take no actions at all.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,378 Posts
Did you try deleting all the partitions on the disk first, and then create the GUID partition. GUID and GPT are the same thing, just different acronyms.

I just fired up DiskGenius, selected my 500GB USB drive, and then selected Disk from the menu bar. On the drop-down I selected Convert to GUID Partition Table (P).
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

Next, I clicked on the SaveAll button.

The result was the drive partition was changed from MBR to GUID.

Rectangle Purple Font Parallel Screenshot

It all took about 15 seconds.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,369 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. I think I'm almost there. I did the cleaning of the drive I loaded Disk Management but I'm not sure how to partition and format the drive in there. Here's what I'm seeing now.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,378 Posts
Right click on the left hand box where it says DISK1 and create a partition. If it asks for initialization, do that first, then create the partition. Obviously, you want to create a GPT (GUID) partition to use the whole capacity. You can then format it NTFS and you're on your way.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,378 Posts
Bummer, looks like you need to use something like DiskGenius to format it, I thought Windows would give you the option. I happen to have a 5GB backup drive that I plug into this system, and it's formatted GUID, so I know Windows reads them. It came formatted, and I never saw the need to format it again, I just used it.

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Global Moderator
43,866 Posts
Your first pic in DiskGenius shows the drive data is deleted but the drive is still partitioned and the space is listed as FREE, meaning you have to Delete that partition to make it the drive all Unallocated Space. In later pictures in the thread, it shows the drive is Unallocated Space, now in Disk Genius, you can choose to Create a New Partition and Format it NTFS. Or
In Disk Management, do not right click the Drive # 3, right click the Unallocated Space and choose to make a new Simple Volume, Format it NTFS, and give it a drive letter.

·
Global Moderator
43,866 Posts
The Drive shows as Partitioned and the space is FREE. You need to select the FREE space and go to the toolbar and press Delete, do the same for any other partitions on the drive. Then the drive should be all Unallocated Space then you can go to the Toolbar and create a New Partition. Be sure to press Save All on the toolbar to keep changes.

If you still have a problem, you can select the FREE space and choose to Erase FREE space. Add Unallocated Space to Partition without Data Loss - DiskGenius

1 - 20 of 24 Posts