Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post; let's see how this goes.

I have a Canon ip4200 attached to my PC via USB and it works fine. Myself and my uncle both bought one of these printers from the same shop on the same day. His has had heavier use than mine and has recently started to show some stripes on his output.

He was going to throw it away, but I suggested we ran a few checks first, possibly by attaching it to my PC and doing some maintenance that he may not have done - head clean, deep clean and the other options.

I connected his ip4200 to my PC - fully expecting it to be treated like my ip4200 sat right next to it (unattached) - but XP said "found new hardware" and wanted to install a driver for it.

I told it to go look for one, thinking it would realise it knows all about Canon ip4200 printers (as it has one) and say "here you go, there's the driver" - but it didn't, it failed.

I then looked at the properties of the existing ip4200 and found out its driver was c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbprint.sys so I then tried pointing the "new hardware found" wizard to c:\windows\system32\drivers hoping that it would pick up usbprint.sys, but I guess it wants usbprint.inf really.

I could go through the process of installing the driver I got from CD or going to Canon's site to download their latest driver - however, my real question is - is it not possible to add another of the exact same printer to a PC (XP SP2) and either a) clone the existing ip4200 or b) point the new ip4200 at the driver it must already have somewhere for the existing ip4200?

As I say, I can install the same drivers for this 'new' printer - but I've got a little bit confused as to why Windows XP SP2 doesn't recognise this 'new' ip4200 just like it did the existing ip4200 (especially if only one was attached) and even why it doesn't see both printers are of the exact same model when I might to attach two at the same time.

Any pointers appreciated.

Hippo

P.S. - as part of the overall problem determination process I have changed out all my cartridges for my uncle's cartidges and my printer doesn't stripe, but his still does - so it sounds like it might be a job for the bin, but we shall see... I'd still like to connect it and run through all the maintenance options for him.

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
Each device/printer has a unique id. That allows you to connect say 2 or 3 of the same printer to a PC and have them all function. Otherwise, the PC would see they are all the "same printer" and when you tried to print, it would print to all of them at the same time. So yes, you have to reinstall the "new" printer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK - thanks for that.

I installed the printer from the CD, as advised. That is all OK. Now I can go through the Maintenance tab actions to see if I can fix the lines he is getting.

So, I have executed Cleaning several times, Deep Cleaning more than twice, Print Head Alignment, Nozzle Check and even Bottom Plate Cleaning... but all to no avail.

His printer still prints out the Check Pattern with visible white lines where there are supposed to be solid blocks of colour. My printer does not, the Check Pattern is as you would expect.

For a final sanity check, I moved all his cartridges to my printer and all my cardridges to his printer. My printer (with his cartridges) prints out the Check Pattern as you would expect. His printer (with my cartridges) still prints out the Check Pattern with lines.

Seems like a printer problem that the Maintenance tab actions cannot remedy.

Time to throw it away, :sigh:? These things are pretty disposable (in our throw-away society) I guess.

Cheers, Hippo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.