Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my Canon i950 printer where it is no longer detected by WinXP. When I turn it on, it powers up and goes through the warmup procedure as it should, and the bubble pops up on the lower right corner of the screen saying the i950 was "found". However, the "Found New Hardware Wizard" screen pops up as well and is telling me it cannot install the hardware. The reason given is "the specified port is unknown". I have tried deleting and reinstalling the most up-to-date printer drivers but it didn't help. Before I deleted the printer files (I can't even re-install it now), in the "Control Panel - Printers and Faxes" properties box I checked the port the printer was connected to and there was not even an option for USB. I think it was connected to an LPT1 port. I tried adding a new port and was never given the option to add USB.

I have also connected the printer to a friend's computer and it was correctly detected using a USB port, so I'm pretty much convinced there is nothing wrong with the printer itself.

Please help, I need my printer!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I have a Canon i900D and when I look at the Printer Port Properties it shows USB001, Virtual Printer Port for USB.

I also show that I have bi-directional support enabled.

It has been a LONG time since I installed this printer, I do not even remember how I set it up, probably used the Canon setup disc??

What caused the printer to stop functioning?? Did you add a new USB decice lately?

JamesO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I forgot to go into what caused the problem. I recently upgraded my PC, adding a new motherboard, CPU, more RAM and a new video card. Aside from the 4 on-board USB ports, the new motherboard came with a seperate, internal 4-port USB hub.

Also, I tried plugging the printer in to various USB ports (the PC currently has 12) but I still have the same problem. Besides, all my other USB devices work correctly.

The printer functioned correctly prior to the upgrade.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.