Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I try to start my computer I get this message , 'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt (Windows root)\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.' If I start the computer and press F8 then I get many options like: *start in safe mode, *last known good configuration, *directory services restore mode, and other options but it doesnt matter because it still wants to start on window (default). It is a HP windows xp and it never came with any installation disc or restore disc. Does anyone have any ideas other than a sledge hammer? Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying Frank. No it will not start in safe mode or any other mode or options that it gives me to start in. What happens is that it will take me to another screen where 'windows (default)' is highlighted and you cannot move of of it so it will not let me do anything. So what do you think?..............HAMMERTIME!!!!!!! I should have known better than to buy a computer from wal-mart. Biggest piece of junk I ever owned. Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
denro said:
when I try to start my computer I get this message , 'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt (Windows root)\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.' If I start the computer and press F8 then I get many options like: *start in safe mode, *last known good configuration, *directory services restore mode, and other options but it doesnt matter because it still wants to start on window (default). It is a HP windows xp and it never came with any installation disc or restore disc. Does anyone have any ideas other than a sledge hammer? Thank you all in advance
Looks like your S.O.L. without the WINXP install disk, dude. But here's something you may want to know about that error:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.