Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all

So my pc suddenly decided to stop connecting to the internet yesterday for no apparent reason. I had to format the c: drive and reinstall XP Pro. Before I did this my pc had the following installed:

C: System drive
D: 120gb Storage drive (just used to save all of my media)
F (RAID): 60gb Storage drive (just used to save all of my media)
DVD drive was another letter

Now on reinstalling I see that my DVD drive is now D:. I assume that this is the problem as the hdd I can't see now was called D:.

In the Disk Management console it sees my 120gb hdd, it's online but it says unallocated. So what do I need to do guys? I've got 120gb of music and films on there I don't wanna lose them!!!

Cheers
Mark

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team
10,822 Posts
Have you tried right-clicking on the unallocated drive and assigning a letter? There may just be a conflict of drive letters to resolve.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, I had a similar problem. One day after usual rebooting I lost one partition and it became unallocated too.

I used Disk Director Suite to recover it. It restored absolutely the same partition that I've lost. And as I understand this situation is a standard problem to solve for DDS.

Frankly now I use it quite for other purpose such as usual partitioning.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Dorian I wished I had just read your post. I just used Partition Magic to change the drive letter to soomething other than D:. It's formatted my drive!

Now it did only take seconds to format a 120gb hdd full of data - surely it hasn't really gone and could be recovered?

I am devasted

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know what to recommend you in that way. It could be easy if you did nothing with your disk space..
So don't do anything with your drive (such as formatting or installing or copying anything there) and try to find any sector by sector recovery utilities. I've never used this sort of software but maybe this link will help:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&newwindow=1&q=diskrecovery

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.