Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a major problem with my computer. It will not startup in Normal Mode. I've been getting help at another Malware forum for ridding my system of some problems. Then without warning, it just started giving me this error screen everytime I tried to startup normally.

But the odd thing is, it was starting up fine, and then it started messing up without me having done anything to the computer in between the time of it working, and now that it's not.

I've described the problem more in depth on the other forum, which can be found here:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69501&st=0&gopid=403183&#entry403183

The person helping me with my malware problem suggested that I do an XP repair, but we do not have a boot disc.

I've searched for the 0x0000008E error code, and the Microsoft site says to download the Server Pack 2 to fix this error, but we can't get online to download that, obviously.

As I said in the other forum, the CWShredder keeps trying to remove an entry called "CWS.MSConfig" which will remove an entry from the System Configuration Utility Startup tab called:
dumprep 0-k %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0-k

But everytime I restart, that entry reappears.

What are my options? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's even worse now, it won't even start up in Safe Mode. No matter what option we choose, we get some kind of error. Now we're scared that we won't even be able to get our files off of the harddrive.

I'm still not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do here. Am I supposed to do this myself? I honestly don't feel comfortable with the hardware aspect of computers.

I'm thinking of just paying someone to come and look at it.

Is there some kind of website where I can search in my area for tech/computer support for home computers?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Well if you lived in my area I would fix it for ya :wink:
It seems that your only solution is to try a repair install or a fresh install. And yes you need the Windows cd. There should be someone in your area that works on pcs, they will no doubt have a cd they can use as long as you have a keycode they can use. Its normally on the side of your case.
Open the yellow pages in your phone book, you should be able to find someone, Good Luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I actually tried doing that.

Here's why it won't boot, even in Safe Mode:

A friend of the family gave me an XP CD, but it was Professional, and we have Home. So we tried to install it anyway, and it started, but later came up with an error.

So now when we startup, we have the option of selecting Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional. If we choose Professional, it wants to finish the installation, but it can't b/c it still says that error.

If we try to startup using the Home edition, we now get an error that says that a System file is missing, and to run a repair.

It seems like the only thing I think we can do now is find a Home Edition CD and run that XP repair. I tried looking for that on the Professional CD, but couldn't.

Is it still possible to run an XP repair if we can't startup? Or if we find a Home Edition CD, would we be able to do a boot from the CD?

·
15,478 Posts
Yeah well you found out you cannot do a XP Home repair using a XP pro cd, just dont jive.
It is possible to do a Home repair with the correct cd, but after you successfully do this you will need to edit the boot.ini. Heres how to remove the option to chose which O.S. at to boot from.

Click Start>right click on My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and recovery settings>Edit
and then just delete the entry that is no good, which in your case would be the Pro entry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

Whenever I try to run the Recovery Console (by hitting either F10 or F12 at startup) I get a different error message:

Stop c0000218 {Registry File Failure}

So I searched for that error at the Microsoft site, and found this .

I'm still trying to find a friend that I can borrow an XP cd from. I know of a few, so now it's just a matter of meeting up with them, and getting the cd from them at some point.

Once I get through with that, I'll update again with my progress.

Thanks for all of the help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I FINALLY got an XP Home Edition disc! ^_^

I haven't done much yet. I ran the R (repair) utility, and it then asked me to choose which drive to repair, or something. I chose C, obviously. Then it came to a prompt. I didn't know what to do, so I just did "chkdsk" and then it told me to do "chkdsk /p" so I did.

It said that it fixed/repaired "one or more errors."

That was late last night, and I ended up going to bed, so I'll work on it more this evening.

I'll update tomorrow. Thanks!

·
15,478 Posts
Before you try the repair install I want you to remove or reseat your memory modules.
Remove some of the memory modules that are installed on the computer. Leave at least the RAM that is required for the computer to start and run Windows XP.
The recommended RAM to run Windows XP is 128 megabytes (MB). The minimum is 64 MB, and the maximum is 4 gigabytes.
For example, if two 256-MB memory modules are installed on your computer, remove one of the memory modules.
Restart your computer, and then run the Setup program:
Insert the Windows XP Setup CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, start the computer, and then click OK to select the first option screen to install a copy of Windows XP.
Click Accept, and then follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows XP installation.
If you again receive the error message go to step 4.
Remove a different memory module, or install the RAM in a different memory slot.
Restart your computer, and then rerun Setup.

You may have to restart your computer several times to identify the specific memory modules that are not working correctly.

info

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the computer working again. In fact, I'm posting this from it now, as opposed to posting from work. =)

I was unable to check the hardware for errors. I did open up the computer, but I had no idea what I was looking for. What I thought was the RAM, there was only one of, not two, so I didn't try and remove it.

So I ran the XP repair from the disc and that worked.
All day today (and part of yesterday) I have been doing Windows updates. Except for now, it seems to be stuck on teh XP Service Pack 2. It gets to the Installation Wizard, and it now says: Finishing Installation -- Performing Cleanup.

The only thing is, it has been on that step for over an hour now, and there had been no movement on the progress bar. Did it freeze up? Will I have to restart the process??

That took FOREVER to download, all day practically. Please tell me I won't have to go through the whole download again. =(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, wannabe1, for the fast response!

It actually JUST finished. Over an hour since my last post, so almost 2 whole hours... yikes!

Anyway, I rebooted, as it said, and then the security window came up to tell me to check my security settings. It said that automatic updates were on, and that my Antivirus was up-to-date. But then it told me to turn on my Windows Firewall.

I couldn't though. When I open it through the conrol panel, it said this:

I don't understand why that won't let me change it, because the account I'm running now has Administrative options.

Any advice?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No, but I thought about installing ZoneAlarm. That's what my parents use, and they seem to like it. Other people I know have suggested it as well.

Any opinions or other suggestions?

·
15,478 Posts
Click Start/Control Panel/Adminstrative Tools/Services. Locate your Windows Firewall Service and tell me if you can enable from there

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will check on the firewall this evening.

In the meantime, the computer seems to be much slower since getting back up and working. I will try to do a disk cleanup, and defrag to see if that helps.

Is there anything else I can do to help this?

Also, going back to the multiple XP entries. Since doing the XP repair, it stopped asking me to choose an operating system. But when I went into Safe Mode before, it would still come to the screen to choose, but the only option I had was Home edition.

I went to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and recovery settings>Edit
like you said, but it was a text document with a bunch of weird coding that I didn't understand, so I didn't know what to delete.

BTW, thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate it. :sayyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Geekgirl said:
Click Start/Control Panel/Adminstrative Tools/Services. Locate your Windows Firewall Service and tell me if you can enable from there
Going through that, it looks as if it is already enabled. The only options are "Stop Service" or "Restart Service"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ran a TrendMicro Housecall scan. It found 2 spywares and 1 trojan.

That scan took 3 and a half hours (all evening practically) I'll try to do some other ones tonight.

Since the computer is running noticably slower since doing the XP repair, is there something else it could be from? Or should I continue just scanning for viruses?

·
15,478 Posts
Use these programs to weed out the nasty if you havent already :deveous:

Scan your pc with these free online scanners:
Panda ActiveScan
RAV AntiVirus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download / Install / Update / and Run:
Adaware SE check for any updates before running it.
Get the plug-in for fixing VX2 variants. You can download it at this SITE
To run this tool, install to the hard drive, then open Ad-aware->Add-ons and select VX2 Cleaner. Then click Run Tool and OK to start it. If it's clean, it will say Status System Clean. Otherwise, you will have to click on the Clean button to remove the VX2 infection.

Download and install Spybot S&D . Run Spybot and click on the 'Search for Updates' button. Install any updates that are available. Next click on the 'Check for Problems' button. Let it run the scan. If it finds something, check all those in RED and hit the Fix Selected Problems button. Exit Spybot. If you keep getting the DSO Exploit entries, even after you updated Windows and fixed them, then download the Spybot DSO Exploit Fix and install it over the current Spybot installation.

Download CleanUp!
Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu). Set the program up as follows:

*Click "Options..."
*Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
*Put a check next to the following:
Empty Recycle Bins
Delete Cookies
Delete Prefetch files
[X]Scan local drives for temporary files (Please uncheck this option)
Cleanup! All Users
Click OK
Press the CleanUp! button to start the program. Reboot/logoff when prompted.
Empty your Recycle Bin.

Wouldnt hurt to use Ewido Security Suite either.

Download the trial version

· Install Ewido.
· During the installation, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
· Launch ewido.
· It will prompt you to update click the OK button and it will go to the main screen.
· On the left side of the main screen click update.
· Click on Start and let it update.
· DO NOT run a scan yet.

Restart your computer into Safe Mode now.
(Start tapping the F8 key at Startup, before the Windows logo screen).
Perform the following steps in Safe Mode:

* Run Ewido:
Click on scanner
Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
During the scan it will prompt you to clean files, click OK.
Reboot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't get the Panda Scan one. I've done it once before, but all it did was show me what I had (like 12 or so spyware) but didn't tell me how to remove them? Did I miss something?

And when I tried to follow that link to RAV, I got the following webpage that said:

This section of RAV AntiVirus website is closed.

Due to the acquisition of RAV's IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) by Microsoft Corp. in 2003, GeCAD Software SRL is currently scaling down and discontinuing its anti-virus related business.

More details

Please be informed that RAV AntiVirus online and direct sales ceased September 3rd, 2003.

I do have AdAware, but not that fix... I'll be sure and download that. I also have Spybot, and CleanUp, and I will see if my Ewido trial period is still available.

Thanks!

·
15,478 Posts
I dont think it is a malware/spyware issue, although before installing SP2 you should have read How to Successfully install SP2.
You may have a had a hiccup so to speak installing SP2, you stated it "frooze".
I dont know what information you received from wannabe1, he didnt make it public.
What progress are you at now with it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.