Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an AMD2000+ desktop PC, with 512MB RAM, 120GB HD and decent Graphics Card.
I have captured video off of DV Camera, VCR and TV (through DV Camera, via Firewire), onto my PC, many times.
But once I had edited the video, and tried rendering it (before burning to DVD) the rendering would simply stop, or the whole PC would freeze.
Of the number of times i have tried this, 80% of the time, the rendering of the video would be unsuccessful.

I had XP on that PC, Service Pack 2 and all the necesary updates. No programmes were running during the rendering process and there was always more than enough free space for the projects.

I seeked assistance from the video editing software support team, but none of the info they gave me helped, and i then thought maybe there was something wrong with my PC itself (i.e. the motherboard etc).

Soon afterwards i got a Fujitsu Siemens laptop. 1.6Ghz Intel Processor, 60GB HD, Service Pack 2, 1GB of RAM, and even a new VCR, in case the footage being captured was problematic.

But when i attempted to render another movie, the rendering stopped once more. I then deleted scenes from the footage where the rendering stopped and tried again, with no luck.

As i said, i have captured from different sources, and sometimes the rendering works, but most of the time it doesn't.

If someone can give me substantial assistance (i have tried everything i can think of so far) i would be ever so greatful. If not, then i hope someone can at least tell me EXACTLY what the problem is?

I am under the impression (maybe wrongly) that the processors i had on the Desktop and the now on the Laptop just arent cut out for video editing, no matter how much HD space or RAM i have.

I realise that Apple computers are designed for such uses and a few of the people i have spoke to who do video editing all use Apples and have no problems, but does that mean that relatively upgraded PC's (such as the 2 i have used) are not good enough to handle video editing?

I would understand such a point if i could not render ANY video, but as i said, i have managed to render a few perfectly, while most do not work.

Once again, any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,

Jovan

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
Hrm, there's a number of things that can go wrong with rendering video.
First off, you need to make sure that you're using the correct codec for the format you want to render to.
Get the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack from http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/
That should get you all the latest codecs.

Then, there's the problem of which player you're using to render the video. Some players do better with some formats than others. Luckily, K-Lite incudes the best media players with the Mega Pack.

You are correct that a 1.6 GHz Intel processor (Centrino Celeron, I assume?) isn't optimal for Video Editing, but it should still be able to get the job done. Heck, I remember editing video on my old Celeron 533Mhz. Sure, it took all day to render a short video clip, but it eventualy got there. :). I'd get a Pentium D 3.20 Ghz and overclock it to around 3.60~3.80 Ghz and slap in 3GB of DDR2 RAM and an ATI FireGL card if I really wanted to make a beast of a Video Editing machine. But that's just me. :grin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using Pinnacle Studio 9, with the additional Patch. And am therefore using the codec that already comes with Pinnacle. I had also used the same Pinnacle Studio software on the previoous Desktop machine and managed to render some video successfully (not all though).

So why the randomness of which video footage is rendered and which isnt?

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
jovan_dj said:
I'm using Pinnacle Studio 9, with the additional Patch. And am therefore using the codec that already comes with Pinnacle. I had also used the same Pinnacle Studio software on the previoous Desktop machine and managed to render some video successfully (not all though).

So why the randomness of which video footage is rendered and which isnt?
Well, I'm not familiar with Pinnacle, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. Have you tried their tech support?
:4-dontkno

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive been emailing their tech support for the past 2 months, and have attempted ALL of their suggestions but to no avail.
Anyways, thanks for your help, and ill keep trying a few other forums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PS: and as for the "I'd get a Pentium D 3.20 Ghz and overclock it to around 3.60~3.80 Ghz and slap in 3GB of DDR2 RAM and an ATI FireGL card if I really wanted to make a beast of a Video Editing machine" point you made, that sounds like it just might be enough to work, but alas, ive spent quite a bit of cash already on this damn video editing thing, so thats not gonna happen anytime soon, and if ever do have the money id rather buy a damn Apple and be happy! :p
Thanks again.
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.