Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Quick question (hopefully): What could be the reasons why Remote Desktop will NOT respond whenever i try to connect from ANY location to my main PC? No error messages, i simply type in my PC's IP address, click Connect, it makes a little splash and comes back quickly to the same Remote Connection window with no errors.

Let me elaborate a bit more:

This occured after i recently re-imaged that "main PC" im trying to connect to.

I have three PCs at home, two of them sharing wireless connectivity within my network. This occurs when trying to connect from any of these two to the "main" one (connected to a Linksys router, etc). I can't even connect from any other location outside my network, and i had NO ISSUES in the past.

I already checked on some obvious options like enabling users to remotely connect to the computer, from the Control Panel>System option. I also have port 3389 open in my router, which i believe is for Remote connectivity. Also allowed full access through my anti virus and Windows Firewall, etc.

I am on Windows Xp SP3, up to date.
And remember, I was always able to connect until i recently re-imaged the OS.

If any other info is needed please let me know :)

And thanks in advance!

·
Registered
263 Posts
easy solution: drop remote desktop connection, it's crap.

o to logmein.com and download the free version, it's a lot easier, that's what I use, as i can never get remote desktop to work right. :grin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol thanks for the suggestion, i'll keep it in mind. However, i'd still like to fix this issue nevertheless.

It's got something to do with the OS (im guessing) since it stopped working after reimaging it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, I agree it has something to do with the OS reimaging, but I can't imagine what. If you have the os install disc, try running a os repair to see if the registry or something is incorrect. Errors like that can occurr, and they affect little things like remote desktop. Also make sure remote desktop is enabled by going to Start > right click my computer (computer in vista) > Remote tab (link in sidepane in vista) > and make sure allow remote connections to this computer is checked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.