Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had been trying to dual boot win xp and ubuntu linux , but linux became dominant and wrote over my winxp boot files, so after multiple recoverery attemps i decided to say to heck with it, and completely wiped my drive, about 5 minutes in, my powr goes out. so i reboot it does not boot into anything so im like good no partitions. but to be sure i ran some programs . some could not read my hd and some said theres bad sectors, some said i needed to low level format my computer. i tryed to install an os , could not read my hd, i tryed another os , could not read. im having a really hard time beleivimng my hd is bad, is there any way i can fix this prob, thanks

srry i wrote in a rush

·
Registered
796 Posts
Re: cannot read hard drive!!

Did you install a Linux bootloader when you installed Linux? It is good practice to let Linux install the bootloader - and then install windows after Linux is installed.... everything is much happier that way.

Then there is the theory of creating a dos partition before you dual boot - but we won't get into that right now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes i installed grub as my boot loader, the problem was i could not boot into windows because linux ran over a few of my windows files and would not boot up. anyway, im going to use dban now see if it works.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

ran deban, did not seem to make a difference, at end of scan it said: wipe finished with some non fatal errors, probobly due to bad disk sectors still could not install operating systems of any kind due to inability to read the hard disk.

·
Registered
796 Posts

1. Install Linux.
2. Install Windows.

Sorry - but the Windows partition is probably the culprit.

I would advise wiping the entire disk clean. Something is wrong in the MBR, the directions above will solve this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

i origionaly used a utility that wiped my entire disk this means my partitions my mbr and mpt and i think even the low level format my hd came with was all deleted, i think it was one of those utilitys were it planned to wipe over my hd 3 times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

also any operating system disk i put in can not read my hard drive linux ubuntu says something like buffer read error, windows i think says something like, cannot install windows on the hd becuase of a read error.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

ran deban, did not seem to make a difference, at end of scan it said: wipe finished with some non fatal errors, probobly due to bad disk sectors still could not install operating systems of any kind due to inability to read the hard disk.
Again i put a few os disks in and they all said cannot install on this hard drive because it can not be read, linux said buffer read error ,windows flat out said cannot install becuase hd is not readable. so i cannot uinstall anything on my computer im going to try to rebuild my partition table now to see if that works.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts

What brand/model?
Run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
The drive may have to be "initialised" too. If so, tools should be available at the HDD website.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts

Well, that would be a good idea. Didn't think about that. :smile:

Any chance of moving the drive to another computer?

Also - see if you can format the drive with Parted Magic.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

well i'm not going to move my hd to a different computer, because i know its the hard drive, i did a check of my whole system, and ill try pmagic but i have tried countless other utility's. guess i just have to hope this works.:sigh:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

booted into pmagic it said error reading disk then said error reading logical block 0 a whole bunch of times, predictable.:upset:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.