Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions with regards to a problem I have. My DVD RW drive (LG GSA4160B) has recently developed a problem.

The drive is visable in My Computer and device manager shows there to be no problem with it. It has been functioning for months now without problems but now I cannot read anything from it.

If I insert a CD/DVD it displays via My Computer and I can browse the contents. One peculiar thing is the fact that the CD logo does not display next to the drive letter (just the name of the CD). If I try and run a disc I get a read error or a 'not a valid Win32 app' error if trying to install a game for example. I can on occasion get a VCD to play albeit at about 4 frames a minute!?

The changes I have recently made are as follows:-

I tried installing a new 160GB drive (SATA) to replace one of the two PATA drives I did have installed. I had a few problems with Windows not recognising the size of the drive (160GB) but after overcoming that, all seemed well. It then became apparent that I couldn't write to the drive. I would get delayed write errors and the drive would disappear from view until the next reboot. At this point my DVD drive was still working.

Eventually I tried the drive in an alternative SATA connector on my mobo. This solved the problem with the delayed write error and the drive is now functioning as expected. It was shortly before this that the DVD problems started (as described above). When my SATA drive was playing up I was trying to install a game to it from the problematic drive but I am unsure what, if anything triggered the issue.

I have since unplugged my other CDRW, my new harddrive, used different IDE cabling and power cables, rebooted and the problem is the same. I have uninstalled the drive and let windows detect it again and the same thing happens. I downloaded a firmware update from LG but am yet to try installing it. I have another couple of drives I can try too but just wondered if anyone had seen this before?

Regards,

Bob.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.