Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forums here :wave:

Generally, I can find everything I need to fix computers on my own, but this one has me at wit's end.

I have a computer running XP SP2 that simply won't connect to the internet, and I think I have it narrowed down to a problem with Winsock.

First off, everything is set correctly. IE isn't using a proxy, nothing is wrong with the internet service, and everything's set to use automatic settings.

The PC grabs an IP just fine, and everything in ipconfig looks normal. I've run the netshell commands to supposedly fix Winsock, ran WinsockXPfix, etc. This happens both wired and wirelessly, and also with a USB adapter I installed.

If I ping something like Google, the prompt reports that it cannot find the host, and if I type in an IP, it sends packets, but does not receive them.

Again, I have tried the Winsock fixes listed in this forum of using the netsh command, and I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the hardware or internet service. When I run the netdiag.exe, it leads to an error message pointing at Winsock, though I cannot remember the message (I don't have the PC in front of me right now and won't until tomorrow).

Is there any other hope of fixing this without re-installing Windows? Perhaps something I haven't tried yet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.