Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have encountered a problem where I cannot ping computers that have computer names over 15 characters long. I attempt to ping (even by IP address) and no response is received. The computers are definitely turned on, connected, and work fine. On several computers, I have changed the 15 character name to a shorter name (usually under 10 characters) and I can then ping, login remotely, etc.

I know the simple solution would be to simply rename the computers, but I am curious if anyone knows the cause of this problem and any ways to mitigate it without changing all the computer names?

Finally, does anyone know of a script that can rename computers joined to a Windows 2003 domain? I have seen many that can do it for workgroup computers, but none that could create a new computer account in a domain.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Netbios 101: You can't create computer names over the 15 character limit. The 16th character is reserved to identify the service type. So if you had, for example, a name that was 8 characters long, the name would automatically be padded with spaces to make it 15 characters in length, then the service type would be added for special identification.

So in other words, shorten the names to 15 characters or below (preferably below).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is exactly what I had supposed. Now comes the other question, is there a way to script the change so that I don't have to go to all the systems and change their computer name? (Keeping in mind these computers ARE on a Windows 2003 Native domain)

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll play around with it and let you know how it goes :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, here was the problem. The computers with long names could not correctly update off the WSUS server. Because they were not updating, they were not up to SP2. Because they were not up to SP2, our firewall policy was not being enforced (that would allow pinging), so their firewall was blocking the ping. So, ultimately, the problem was with the computers not being up to SP2, which was indirectly caused by their long name precluding them from talking to the WSUS server.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.