Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem Description: We have just purchased a new Dell PowerEdge 2850 Server for our new campus in Daytona Beach for use with CampusVue. This is a small school for the present and will probably not have more than 3 or 4 workstations logging in. The server has dual Xeon 2.8 GHz processors and two 73 GB SCSI drives in Raid 0. It is running Windows Server 2003 and has been configured as a single domain controller using the domain name of DIMT (actually DIMT.local). The computer name is DIMTSERVER. Currently we have one Dell Workstation Dimension 3000 running Windows XP Professional that will be accessing it.

Both computers will access the internet via broadband cable and a Linksys 8-port Router. The router IP is 192.168.1.254 and has DHCP enable for addressing 192.168.1.100/149. I have configured TCP/IP on both computers for obtaining an IP automatically. The “Roadrunner” router’s Internet IP is 24.73.158.165, Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.224 and the Default Gateway is 24.73.158.161. The Static DNS1 is 65.32.1.70 and the Static DNS2 is 65.32.1.65.

Both computers, workstation and server, have internet access. When I attempt to change the workstation from a workgroup logon to the DIMT domain I get the following message…”A domain controller for the domain DIMT could not be contacted”….. I can ping the workstation from the server, but not vice versa. I mapping a drive from the workstation using UNC (\\dimtserver\c) and got the same message that the domain name was not accessible. I’ve configured new servers before without problems. What am I missing? I checked IPs on both computers using IPCONFIG and the DHCP of the Linksys router is assigning them properly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
is DNS configured on the 2k3 server? You will need to install and configure DNS and DNS forwarding on the server. Before joining the domain with the workstation you have to make sure that its DNS is pointing to the server.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DNS Server and Forwarding is installed and configured for 2003 Server. I cannot tell, however, if the server DNS is added to the XP workstation. If it is not would that prohibit the XP workstation from pinging the server?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Go to the Advanced TCP/IP Settings and where it says DNS suffix for this connection enter the doman name DIMT.local

see if that helps
Do you have active directory running ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, AD is running. Are you talking about the DNS setting under TCP/IP of the workstation or the server? Actually I have included our ISP's DNS' of 207.230.75.34/207.230.75.50 in the DNS of the workstation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your Server's IP has to be static not DHCP.
It is a very big issue that you can not ping your server thats where the problem is if you do not have connectivity then you can't join the domains.
do a ipconfig on both the server and the workstation. Make sure there is no firewalls running on either workstation or Server.
Also check that your DNS is working properly go to dos windows and do the nslookup (and then server's name) also do nslookup (and then server's IP) If you are going to use AD you will have to use DNS on your server. You will have to make your DNS server to forward requests for internet to your ISP's DNS server.
But first you have to deal with basic connectivity, if you can't ping server check firewall see if the router is blocking on that perticuar port, try changing the port on which the workstation is and also make sure you have static IP on your server

·
Registered
282 Posts
Let's say DNS is configured on the server and that the server's ip address is 192.168.1.10, then on your workstation go to the TCP/IP properties and add 192.168.1.10 as the first entries of the DNS then use your ISP's DNS to fill up the rest of them. I would also add 192.168.1.10 as the server's main DNS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.