Hello all,
Recently built a system with this config:

Asus P4C800 Deluxe (Bios 1010V)
2 * 256MB Ram Corsair 3200 CL2
Maxtor ATA 133 DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB
Radeon 9500 Pro
Antech True Power 380Watt PSU
I am having some strange problems.
For starters, I have problems with my floppy disk, as in the boot up sequence it does not function. Not until Iget to the XP os.
The main issue is that I cannot install Win98se. The installation process freezes int he middle at a random location( yes I have tried it a few times already) and I simply have to reset the machine which leaves me with nothing...!
Maybe Win98se setup cannot work with ATA133 drives?
BTW, the IDE cable of a 133 ATA drive, is it similar to the ATA100 IDE cable?

Thank-you.

S

·
0 Posts
Yup the cables are the same. Did this hard drive ever have another operating system on it before?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HDD

The HDD did not have anything installed on it before.
It is a new HDD.

Thanks again,
LIOR

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can the floppy install on another system? Possibly the floppy is shot. Does the floppy make some really odd grinding noises or does it just chug away and spin?

S

·
0 Posts
Look in the bios (probably F1 during the boot sequence) and see if it is set to boot to the floppy drive first.

If it is go here and download a windows 98SE boot disk. Put a new floppy disk into the drive and double click the file you downloaded and it will create a new boot disk for you! Then try booting to this new boot disk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will try it...

Thanks to you both.
I will try to do what you suggested. The floppy just turns on and stays lit all the time, I mean, the little led is always on without a change. I tried flippilng the cable but that was no good...
Anyway, I will try the Bios thing just to make sure.
What do you guys think of my Win98se problem with this drive?

Thanks again,
LIOR

S

·
0 Posts
When you hook up the floppy the single end needs to be on the motherboard. And the double end needs to be on the floppy. But the connector on the very end has to go on the floppy not the one in the middle of the two. And when you indexed the cable you just need to pull it off of the floppy drive only and turn the connector 180 deg.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Floppy issue resolved.

Thanks Speedo...!
I checked and verified that the connector of the floppy was wrong connected to the mobo, so now it is fine.
Another question please...
It is written in the manual of this mobo that if I have Radeon 9500 Pro card it must be of revision as follows:
PN: XXX-XXXXX-30 or later.
Mine has 00 at the end, so what does that mean now for heaven's sake, that I am pooped with it?
It will not work for me??
Please see if you can help me here.
LIOR

S

·
0 Posts
It says after that "For optimum performance and overclocking stabilty" As long as it meets the requirements voltage wise I don't see why it shouldn't work. Does the computer run alright or are there still problems with it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Touch Wood...!

The PC runs fine now... thanks the lord!

I would like to know though, what will happen if I enable the Hyper Threading... will Win98se still boot & run stable?

What if I put the IDE config on Enhanced again , instead of compatibility? Will WIn98se, again, still run fine in your POV...?

Thanks,
LIOR

S

·
0 Posts
Hyper threading is only for those operating systems that support it (XP & Linux) from what Intel has to say. What will happen with Windows 98, I have no clue..............:confused:

And as far as your second question goes the only way to find out is try it. Or wait until someone else has and posts it on the forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ASUS Recommends the only XP be installed with this board Thats right from ASUS.TEK.

And when building a new computer always do a clean install of the OS.

Knowledge is power read it, think it, use it.......

Computer Tech. Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank-you...!

You have been very helpful indeed. Thanks for all the replies.

LIOR:winkgrin:

S

·
0 Posts
ASUS Recommends the only XP be installed with this board Thats right from ASUS.TEK
Can you supply a link to where it states this on the Asus site......:D

S

·
0 Posts
The hyperthreading enable and disable won't show up in the bios unless it has the HT CPU.

Thanks for the link john...........:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.