Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is probably very simple but for some reason I am having some trouble.

I cannot install things onto my secondary SSD hard drive, it is recognized in some places and not in others. It shows up on my "Device Manager" but not in my File Explorer under "This PC". I want to install certain programs/games onto the SSD but I never get the option to.

I am running Windows 10 Home 64-bit on an Alienware 17 R4 laptop.

I have attached an image to hopefully help anyone understand my problem, any help is appreciated thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
See if it shows up in "Disc Management", it may not have a drive letter associated with it. If it is in Disc Management, right click on it and assign a drive letter.

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
The drive also may not be Initialized, Partitioned and Formatted.
As stated, Press the Win key+X and choose Disk Management. If this is a new drive the New Disk Wizard will automatically start asking to Initialize, create a Partition, Format it and assign a Drive Letter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See if it shows up in "Disc Management", it may not have a drive letter associated with it. If it is in Disc Management, right click on it and assign a drive letter.
The drive also may not be Initialized, Partitioned and Formatted.
As stated, Press the Win key+X and choose Disk Management. If this is a new drive the New Disk Wizard will automatically start asking to Initialize, create a Partition, Format it and assign a Drive Letter.
Thank you both for the help. This worked.

Now I have decided that it's best for the SSD to be my boot drive. I have downloaded the Winows set up onto a USB drive. I removed my other hard drive and then booted from the USB. When it comes time for me to choose where to install Windows, the SSD does not show up as an option. In disk management the SSD shows as basic, healthy, primary partition, NTFS? It is not an MBR but a GPT? I think? Not sure what all that means but any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
First boot into Setup (Bios) Look for Hard Drive Mode, or SATA, make sure the Hard Drive mode is set to AHCI and not IDE or Legacy. Go to the Security Tab, do you see Secure Boot Enabled? If so, Disable it or change it to Setup Mode. Now go to the Boot Tab. Do you See UEFI Bios? If You don't have UEFI Bios or Secure Boot, then you cannot install Windows to a GPT Initialized Drive. Save and Exit.
Download Mintool Partition Wizard, Right click the Left side of the drive that shows the full capacity and choose Convert GPT to MBR be sure to click Apply at the top Left. Once converted to MBR try the Windows installer again. You do not need to Partition or Format once it is Initialized MBR, The Windows installer will create Partitions and Format them automatically to the Unallocated Space.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.