Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I have had this problem forever and I just cant seem to be able to fix it:

Basically, my OS says that my drive is using DMA, but I dont think it is. I ran the nero drivespeed test and it showed the drive maxing out at about 18x, with 57% cpu usage at 8x!(of course I also noticed slow drive speeds when installing games or burning cds) This actually occurs with both my 52x CD-ROM and my combo cd-R/RW/DVD-ROM, both on the secondary controller, and they both give pretty much identical results. I also ran the nero infotool and it reported both drives as running in DMA mode, and it correctly detected both drives writing and speed capabilities.

I realise that many people make posts about this, but I have read them all (well I searched for "DMA" on several tech support forums and read like 20 different posts per forum) and I have tried pretty much everything (the only thing left for me to try is switch the slave/master but I dont think it will make a difference Edit: I just did it and it didnt change anything). I have also emailed LG and ASUS and so far I havent been able to get it fixed... SO basically I am in dire need of help. At the bottom is a list of my full system specs. Anyways, here is a list of all the things I have tried to get it working:

1.) Checked device manager settings, and set it to DMA mode.

2.) Checked cable connections.

3.) Taken off the salve drive and using just the master drive.

4.) Reinstalled Nforce drivers (ver 2.45).

5.) Uninstalled & Reinstalled Secondary IDE controller.

6.) Edited the registry and deleted the IdDataChecksum files for both drives and restarted computer.

7.) tried different cds(Audio, Data 2- of each).

8.) Looked around in BIOS for DMA controls but found none. I asked ASUS if they knew of any way to change DMA settings in the BIOS and they never sent me a reply(Well thats not true, they sent me a reply telling me to update NForce drivers, even though I said in teh email that I had 2.45 :/)

9.) I tried switching from a regular black ended IDE cable to a blue ended IDE cable and no difference.

Thats all I can remember right now. Please, please help me. I have had this problem for over a month now and as you can imagine it is driving me insane. Here are my full system specs:

System Info:
Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4
Athlon XP 2500+ @ Stock
ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X2.0 REV 2.xx (NForce2 driver ver. 2.45)
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X2.0 ACPI BIOS Rev 1006
HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8520B (52xCD)
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B (48x24x48CD/16xDVD read)
MAXTOR 6L060J3(60.04 GB)
512Mb PC3200 ValueRAM, single Channel mode (for now) CAS 3.0 4-4-7
RADEON 9800 PRO @ Stock (Driver ver. 6.14.10.6368)
IBM G78 [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n 55-K5150, December 2000)
Creative SB Audigy
 
G

·
Welcome to TSF Secret-Ian....................:D

Try running Nero CD Speed using a full data CD for the test.

And then run it with an audio CD.

Save both of these tests to a file that you create, I use CD Speed test for the name of the file.

Then reboot and do the drive Speed test again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, but believe me, I have tried this test many many times. The CD I used last was the maximum PC demo disc, but I have also tried a custom one that I made, the warcraft 3 cd and the rainbow six raven shield install disc. I got the same results.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top