Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I have an older HP pavillian , was working fine until the other day. a few days before all this happened I was hearing strange clicking noises in the computer, then just yesterday I turned on the power button and nothing happens I hear alot of clicking like the harddrive is busy, then comes the phrase OS not found, I cant even get into the Bios, this is windows me, does this mean a computer crash?

thank you guys ,try to help me

johnboy:wave:

· TSF Team Emeritus
9,495 Posts
Oh yea it crashed, sounds like the hardrive has gone out but what bothers me is you can't get into bios, are you sure you are tapping the right key?

Can you boot from a floppy or cd?

· TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,263 Posts
Hi daddy/ben, Hi Doby

Most Hp Pavilions built before 2002 used the F10 key to enter the Bios Setup screens. After that date, most use the F1 key. The key for your system should show in either the splash screen or a Bios banner message when the computer is powering on. Or - you can check the manual for your system, most are still available at hp.com's support webpages --- http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?..._client=S-A-R163-1&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=us

If you are really, really, really lucky -- the clicking will have come from a floppy diskette left in the floppy drive -- and all you need to do is remove it. If so, it'd be a good time to buy a lottery ticket, because otherwise Doby's diagnosis of a failed hard drive is a very high possibility.

Best of luck!
. . . Gary

· TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,263 Posts
Hi again

If the hard drive is still detected by the PC's Bios (you could enter Bios Setup & have a look), then you might be able to access and save some of the data -- depending on how severely the drive is damaged. If the PC is in good enough condition to boot to a command prompt from a bootable floppy diskette or a bootable CD (a bootable diskette usually will yield an A:> prompt, a bootable Windows9x/Me CD "with cd-rom support" usually will yield a command prompt also) - switch to the drive letter of the hard drive (probably C) by typing C: at the command prompt (the command prompt should then switch in appearance to C:>). If you receive an error trying to switch, you might not be able to get to the data. If you successfully see the C:> prompt, then try the directory command to see if you can see files and folders on the drive -- from the C:> prompt, type dir.

If you can see files and folders, you may be able to save the data to a CD-R, a USB key, or to another hard drive.

If you have a Windows XP PC and a Windows XP CD available, you can make an "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows": and start your failed-hard-drive-PC with it --- the UBCD4Win has CD writing tools included, and you could burn your data onto CDs. --- http://www.ubcd4win.com --- even if the hard drive's partitions are damaged, the UBCD4Win also has File Recovery tools that can attempt to retrieve the data.

Or -- you can slave the failing drive to another computer by placing it in a USB hard drive enclosure, or by setting the proper jumpers & attaching it to the proper hard drive cable.

To check if the other parts in your older computer are still good or not (which can help you decide whether you want to bother saving it), you can run some basic diagnostics:

Check Your Hardware:

Use a bootable CD with diagnostics (either the UBCD4Win or the Linux-based UBCD --- http://www.ultimatebootcd.com ---) to check the cpu, memory, optical drives, etc. [if your hard drive hadn't already proven to have failed, you could test that too].

Check in the system's Bios that the settings are OK. --- Once in your system's Bios Setup, pay particular attention to the system time & date: if it has reverted backwards several years, it's time to replace the CMOS battery. The battery is often a 3v coin-type battery, such as the popular CR-2032 (about $1.50 USD). --- http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph04375&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=94878

Best of luck
. . . Gary

· Registered
668 Posts
Hi,

You have received good info already. Another thought: A hard drive that is clicking once about each 1 second is re-claibrating trying to find the boot sector. If it doesn't read the correct info it will then re-calibrate (seek the first sector) continuously. That drive is probably beyond help.

Good Luck, Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.