Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an E: drive and I want to delete it and the files on it but it tells me I do not have permission to delete. I have administrator privileges on the computer but I cannot delete the drive or the files. Please give me advice.

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts
First of all you can't just simply right click and delete a drive. You can access the files on the drive and then delete the files. If the drive is optical or an external hard drive than you can't delete that drive without disconnecting it.

If the E:\ is a partition of the internal hard drive than you need to "manage" the drive.
start->right click on Computer and select Manage. On the next screen select "Disk Management". Now right click the partition you want to delete and select delete. After that you can right click any other partition and select "extend volume" to use the remaining space.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all you can't just simply right click and delete a drive. You can access the files on the drive and then delete the files. If the drive is optical or an external hard drive than you can't delete that drive without disconnecting it.

If the E:\ is a partition of the internal hard drive than you need to "manage" the drive.
start->right click on Computer and select Manage. On the next screen select "Disk Management". Now right click the partition you want to delete and select delete. After that you can right click any other partition and select "extend volume" to use the remaining space.

I hope that helps!
Ok I tried that and when I right click the partition "Delete" is not available to me.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
hit the Windows key+R on the keyboard. In the Run box type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. In the Disk Management window, you can right click the partition and choose Delete Partition. All Data will be lost on that partition.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
It becomes unallocated space. then you can right click the unallocated space and choose to create a new partition or you can use a 3rd party software to extend the previous partition on the same drive.

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts
On our oem computers there is a recover D:\ and even when it is not in use "Delete Volume" is greyed out as well.

How did you create the partition in the first place exactly?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.