Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my folders I cannot open or delete, it just gives me "Cannot delete _____; Cannot find the specified file". Filesystem is NTFS. Any idea how to fix it? Theres nothing of any importance in the folder.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a folder trillian created for an incoming file, its called "the end is nigh.............." the only thing I can think of is that it doesn't like all the ........'s

I shall kill him later for having a dodgy SN :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
Are you sure Trillian hasn't downloaded some spyware or inadverdently downloaded a virus or trojan? Has he set the attributes for the file so it could not be deleted? Who has the administrative rights? Who's machine is it?

These are questions we need to know in order to advise you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
--Are you sure Trillian hasn't downloaded some spyware or inadverdently downloaded a virus or trojan?

Yep, got AdAware Pro & McAfee 7 Pro running & up to date. Also I've never heard of Trillian doing that before.

--Has he set the attributes for the file so it could not be deleted?

I've no idea what the file he sent me was now, I can't even access the folder. I suspect HD problem, but don't know how to fix it :\ Wheres good old ScanDisk when you need it :p

--Who has the administrative rights?

I do ^_^

--Who's machine is it?

Mine

Here's some glorious screenshots:

When I try to open the folder:

When I try to delete the folder:

When I try to delete the folders above it:

Properties with missing info:

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Have you tried renaming it and then deleting it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Certainly have ^_^

I ran chkdsk, but all it found was 2 orphaned files which it fixed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
did you try to delete the directory MSN ?

of cause this would delete all files and/or subdirectories !

gr

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,295 Posts
How about deleting from Command Prompt?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm under the impression that evereybody gives stupid answers :

how can you delete from DOS prompt if you have a ZERO sized file which, takes ZERO k cluster size ?

Simply look in Windows Explorer what is inside the MSN folder, if there are other files or folders inside MSN, copy these to another location.

Then DELETE that MSN folder !

Recreate it if you need to and reverse the action of copying.

And pls run a virus check, the best way to invite virusses is to connect to MSN. It's like leaving the door to your PC wide open.
Ever thought of a firewall ? Don't rely on the one delivered with Win XP !

gr

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Midnight Tech said:
How about deleting from Command Prompt?
Tried that, couldn't find it to delete.

slam said:
DELETE that MSN folder !
Tried it before, still no luck :(

slam said:
Ever thought of a firewall ? Don't rely on the one delivered with Win XP !
Got ZoneAlarm Pro & the one built into my router ;)

slam said:
And pls run a virus check,
It found no files to scan in the folder :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
slam said:
I'm under the impression that evereybody gives stupid answers :

gr
Yup. We all give stupid answers. Looks like yours didn't work either.:rolleyes:

Ren Of Heavens, looks like you have a corrupt file. Perhaps you should try to find any references to it in the registry and delete it. If it's not there, try going into safe mode and deleting it there. Make sure you empty the trash as well before returning to normal booting.

See, This used to happen to me in Windows 95. This is how I was able to get rid of things. Sometimes, these weird files are related to other files still on the drive and that's why they can't be installed. Indeed, spyware does this all the time. After I clean things out, I use Norton Systemwroks/Cleansweep to get rid of all the other crap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stupid answers are nice, any answer at all is a good thing :D My router serisouly didn't like safe-mode & reset itself XD

Safe mode didn't want to kill the folder either. I might just give up & leave it there since it wants to stay so badly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Incase anyone actually cares (Or has a similar problem) I have found a solution! :D I went into command, went to the folder in which "The End is nigh........." was located. Typed Dir /X to find it was known as THEEND~1, did "REN THEEND~1 Kill" (To rename it) and then I had a nice folder to delete ^_^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.