Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone point me in the right direction. I've been searching and attempting to fix this for a couple of days without luck.

My Problem
I have a file that I can not delete. When I try, I get the message "cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk"
The file extension ends with a space and is reported a 0 KB in size.

Here is what I've attempted:
1. Normal delete and well as "Shift+Delete". I get the above message.
2. Tried to scan the file for a virus. Got the error message "Scan was completed with error. Error:The system cannot find the file specified."
3. Virus scanned the folder. Scan completed - no virus found.
4. Attempted to open the file in Notepad by opening Notepad then dragging the file. Got the error message "The system cannot find the file specified."
5. Attempted to create the same file name in the same location using Notepad. i.e. Hoping to replace the file. I got the usual message that the file already exists and I granted permission to replace it. However, I still cannot delete the replaced file.
6. Booted in Safe Mode and attempted to delete. Same result.
7. Ran "CHKDSK" No problems - still cannot delete.
8. Opened a DOS window. Closed Explorer.exe using TaskManager. Then attempted to delete the file in the DOS window. Got the error message "File cannot be found"
9. One post suggested deleting the file in a DOS window but prefacing the file name with "\\?\" That didn't work either.
10. Installed a program called "Remove on Boot" which is supposed to delete undeletable files on Reboot. i.e. After installing the prog, right click the file and click "Remove on Next Reboot". During the reboot process, I got the following error message "Run-time Error "53": File not found"
11. I created 2 additional files in the directory which alphabetically appear immediately before and after the suspect file. Then highlighted all 3 files and tried to delete. Same result.

Unless my brain has turned to mush (which is entirely possible), I can't think of another option.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
34 Posts
You could try using the program 'Unlocker'. Download it here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.