Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... Recently my laptop's startup kept popping out this message:

Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk

It appears few seconds after logging in to windows XP. I think this happened after a registry cleanup from using one of the programs...either ace utilities or Ccleaner...can anyone help me on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Hi lostinspac and welcome to TSF !

Good registry cleaners have a way to restore the changes you made. Try that and see if it helps.

Check the start => all programs => startup folder for related shortcuts, move them to another location and see if it helps.

Go to start => run and type msconfig. Check the items you'll find in the startup tab against bleepingcomputer's database. If you make changes there (and each time you'll make changes there) you'll get a warning about being in selective mode when windows restart. Tick the box and click ok so that it stays in that mode and doesn't bother you again. Make sure you don't untick your antivirus or firewall.

We're not big fans of registry cleaners at TSF. See post #2 here. you don't always know what they do, there's no way they know everything about all entries your programs need and they can do worse than good. Cleaning minor problems in the registry won't speed up your compter noticeably anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.