Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I backed up my outlook express from the web directions. I exported them........and all went well. I saved them on my cd......and now when I go to open them...........they open up in Word document with little boxes and squigglies.

How/what do I open them with please, so I am able to read them

And yes, I did check after copying them that they were NOT read only files.

Thanks very much,
Postcard
:confused:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Are they .pst files? I believe you have to import them to Outlook in order to view them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are dbx files.

Do you mean I have to put them all back in my outlook express to be able to read them??

I was hoping to be able to store my emails on a cd for reading when necessary.

Is there another way to do this??

Thanks,
Postcard ( getting worried that 7000 messages or more are lost):confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah that right .dbx files are only able to be read in OE, unless you can find a program out there that can do it but i haven't heard of any.

·
Registered
60 Posts
for this reason, i direly HATE oe. it annoys the mung out of me. even if u copy the dbx's psts, oe will often not allow u to view the copied versions b/c of a security issue. the only thing i can think of that u can do to export them is to save each one as an eml or txt file and write that to a cd...and that is retarded

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dbx files

Oh gross. And yes you are right, it is retarded. lol lol
I guess that means like a ton of work for me. There goes my 7000 messages, (pukes) but, heh, tomorrow is another day.
Whats that saying, something about keep on trying??????

lol
lol

Thanks,
Postcard
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I went into OE (not express) and selected save as on an email. It let me save it as an .rtf and was viewable in Word after that.

Have you already exported the files?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cannot decipher coding

exported, imported, and maybe even tied a blue ribbon on them.
At this point, I am not even sure where to find them. After following the directions that microsoft gives, I was so proud of myself. Seemed that I did it all right, had the folder mailbackup, on my desktop.
Only my puter knows for sure where they are now.
Also, what is OE, if not Outlook Express please.

Thanks,
Postcard
:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Am I reading this right? Even though OE6 and XP's Outlook are both email programs from the same software provider, the NEWER and supposedly BETTER one can't read the old emails?

How are we supposed to clutter new hard drives with old data if we can't read the old data?

:redface: (having the same problem, I think)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.