Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished reading this thread http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-boot-windows-startup-repair-cannot-repair-this-computer-automatically-663898.html as I'm having the same issue. Here's a brief history.

My computer was built by me and has been fine up until a few days ago after I removed some USB cables for devices that I then hooked up to another PC I have and reconfigured some USB devices as a powered hub I was using would not let them be recognized by Windows. When I opened the Attached Devices window to see if my devices were now recognized it took forever to open with the blue bar at the top never getting to the end. I Googled the problem and found that Bluetooth was may be causing the issues and to disable it. That didn't fix the issue so I tried other recommended fixes such as disabling printspool -- none worked.
I then started having the Cannot Boot problems so I let Windows try and fix it which it could not. I tried to let it restore from a previous good point but that failed and I would click Send Report and then it would shut down. This kept happening for several days until I came across the aforementioned thread here on the forum.
Last night I turned off the power and went to bed. This morning I switched on the PC and let it boot up. Lo and behold WIN7 started right up no problems -- the Attached devices window opened right up as well. Then I saw that it was loading drivers for 3 attached devices -- all USB devices and one required a restart. I should add that I have four USB devices attached to my PC, a keyboard, mouse, and two interface cards for my flight simulator -- one by LeoBodnar and one by PoLabs. Both allow you to connect various potentiometers and switches. The LeoBodnar connected devices work just fine but I have been trying to get Microsoft Flight Simulator to recognize the Pokeys card (Windows does and lists it as a HID with an icon of a keyboard).
Before restarting I went in and set up a DiskCheck on restart and let it restart. Well now I was back to the same Windows cannot start routine but this time when it completed its try at fixing the problem I didn't click on Send Report this time but clicked on Problem Details. Here's what it said:
Problem Event Name: Startuprepairoffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 25
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: Bad driver
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Location ID: 1033

I checked the Diagnostic Repair Details and it told me that the last successful repair attempt was when I first booted up this morning.
The Session Details said
System Disk =\DEVICE\HARDDISK 1
Windows Directory = D:\Windows
AUTOCHK RUN = 0
Number of Root Causes = 1

I opened up a window and typed in CHKDSK and hit enter It returned this
DISK PARTITION
VOL 0 E: CDROM
VOL 1 C: APPLICATIONS NTFS PARTITION 558GB
VOL 2 D: NTFS PARTITION 232GB
VOL 3 FAT 32 PARTITION 100MB HIDDEN

Now the strange thing is, I have two hard drives a 250GB C: for Windows and a 500GB D: for Applications yet they seem to be reversed in the table above and System disk is being reported as 1 with the Windows directory on D:\Windows when it should be disk 0 C:\Windows with disk 1 being D: "Applications".
Can anyone shed any light on what's going on with my computer? From the information I have gleaned it would seem that a bad driver is causing the problem but which one and why would it start up this morning after a cold boot -- did Windows remove that driver?
Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update
I unplugged two USB cables leaving just the keyboard and mouse an rebooted. Windows starts just fine but then starts to install drivers for three USB devices. Not sure what they are as all I have plugged in are the keyboard and mouse. Any way of finding out what devices Windows installed drivers for?
Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.