Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running XP home edition on my Toshiba laptop, and have recently been having some problems. The computer repeatedly shuts down (seemingly at random)--it suddenly begins to make loud noises, freezes, then turns off. And when I restart the loud noise continues--startup fails repeatedly.
I've already reset my BIOS so that I go straight to the XP install CD-Rom, allowing me to access the Recovery Console. The computer won't start in Safe mode or any other mode.
Previously, the command "chkdsk /r" fixed my problem. Now, though, when I attempt this (or nearly any other command) the console replies "the specified drive is not valid, or there is no disk in drive." I'd also like to point out that I had this problem once before (not recognizing the drive) but it simply went away. I guess I should have figured out what was wrong right away...but alas...
I have checked other websites and it doesn't seem like this can be a good thing. However, I have a feeling that the problem might have to do with some type of cord being loose within the hardware?
The reason I think this is 1. due to the loud noise the computer makes, but 2. there were 1 or 2 times when I left my laptop on over night, and when I woke up the computer was fine. However, I moved the laptop (did not touch the keyboard or mouse) and IMMEDIATELY it began to make loud noises and then simply shut down.
My question is--is there some cable that is loose? The power or data cable perhaps? And if so, how do I check this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.
Just wondering, how should I run the Hard Drive Diagnostics Utility if I can't log onto windows at all?
I have an external memory stick, could I somehow use that? I'm assuming no, but I don't know what else I'd do. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the help. So I have run the disk scan and there is nothing wrong with the hard disk. However, I've found that the laptop will work every once in a while--it just shuts down at random and then won't turn back on for a long time (does the weird noise thing).
I get this error message whenever it shuts down:
Kernel_stack_inpage_error
It then says to restart if this is the first time it has happened, but if not it says:
Check that any hardward or softward is properly installed. If a new installation, ask hardware of software manufacturers for any windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

I don't know which hardware or software has not been properly installed--is there a way to figure this out, or should I just use my best judgment? Also, I don't know how to disable BIOS (and don't know what that would even do). Thanks for any help, once again!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
What puzzles me is the loud noise you are hearing, its possible your fan is causing the issue. It is possible it is failing and stopping, and at that point causing the laptop to overheat thus shutting down the system..:4-dontkno

Try removing the hard drive and reseating

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem before on my desk top, which is an HP. I had to remove the cover and clean the fan and components of the dust that had accumulated inside the modem. It could be either your power supply or the fan. Be sure that you aren't using your laptop on a soft surface (bed, floor, lap - how ironic), but instead use it on a flat surface. If you would prefer to use it on your bed be sure to purchase a cooling fan goes under the laptop. It has fans on the face up side that allows venillation and would probably stop your loud noise (probably your fan or cooling device inside overheating).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.