Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My eMachines T2865 was disconnected and moved to avoid power surges anticipated for Hurricane Wilma. Upon reconnecting, I am getting a power on [for 2 seconds] where the fan inside starts to spin. After 2-4 seconds, it stops. Nothing appears on the screen. It seems that the power supply is feeding power [or else I would not even see the fan spin].

Can anyone advise what is causing this?

What should I try next?

Thanks,

davidb2989

·
Registered
935 Posts
You should have more than one fan. There will be one on top of the heatsink, which is on top of the processor and one at the rear of the case, typically.

That's minimum, some cases will have more.

So, identify all your fans and take another look and make sure that all the fans spin up.

JF

Edit:
Sometimes, when a computer is unplugged, then plugged back in, it will light up for a few seconds, then shut down. That's normal behavior, (it resets) you then hit the start button and all is usually well.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
jflan said:
You should have more than one fan. There will be one on top of the heatsink, which is on top of the processor and one at the rear of the case, typically.

That's minimum, some cases will have more.

So, identify all your fans and take another look and make sure that all the fans spin up.

JF
Some Emachines and Dell's will have one fan in the back of the case with a duct going over the heat sink. Not efficent but cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me Too!

I have the same problem with the same computer. I was getting no fans or lights and replaced the PSU with a new 300watt model. After installation I got the blue power on light for about 2 sec and then nothing. i tried again with the same response. I tried again and now there are NO lights or fans. i tested the new PSU with an Ultra Power Supply tester and it shows everything is ok. I can get the PS fan to come on while testing the 20 pin MB connector. Whats Up with this?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Remove all connections except video and power supply to the motherboard and take all but one ram chip out of the machine. Remove all USB devices, keyboard, mouse, disconnect the drives from power and data cables. Then try to boot to the bios post. If no boot then swap ram chips and try again.

Check the capacitors on the motherboard for swelling or leakage. Check for any loose or damaged, burnt components.

Try a different power supply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.