Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to setup one of my computers as a server. I am running XP Pro on my system and I am using a cable connection to the net. If I can where is the best place to pick up all the info needed.

Thanks,
Bogart1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to setup a service to run a dedicated server for my websites first then expand to rent webspace.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yes. I did it.

Check out these fine server programs:
XAMPP
NetworkActiv

I just got done telling a friend how to set up NetworkActiv. Here is what I told him:
It all depends on your situation. The first thing you want to do, however, is download NetworkActiv Web Server and install it.

Now, for the tricky part. You need to determine if your computer has the same IP address as the public sees.

To do this, first go to IPChicken.com and notice your Public IP address.

Second, go Start>Run>type "cmd" without the quotes. When the dialogue pops open, you want to type "ipconfig" without quotes. You should see 3 IP addresses. The one marked IP Address should match the one from IPChicken.com. If they do match, skip 1 and 2. If they do not match, you will need to do one of the following.

1. Forward ports on your router. You will need to choose a port to run your webserver on. The default is 80, but to be secure choose a different port. I would recomend something between 82 and 90. You will then need to activate port forwarding on your router. For instance, say you chose port 86. You will need to open up your router's configuration panel, and forward that port to the IP Address listed in ipconfig. Now, this method doesn't always work. The only way to test it is to have someone outside your LAN (say me) check and see that it works. If you try it on your own computer, and it works, this does not necessairly mean that it is working. Also, sometimes with this method, you can not see your site on your LAN, but others on the outside can. Go ahead and skip #2 and read on.

2. Put the PC outside your LAN. This method only works for Cable Modem users. Connect your PC directly to the Cable Modem, bypassing the router. Now, this WILL work, but if you have more than one PC in your house, only one will be able to get online, the server PC. To fix this, you will need to have 2 network cards (NICs) and a Crossover Ethernet Cable.
Get the server PC online, and have both NICs in. Hook one NIC to the Cable modem and hook the other to the crossover cable. Hook the other end of the crossover cable to another PC or the Modem IN slot on the router. You can also use one NIC and have the cable modem connected via USB. Go into Netork Connections (Start>Control Panel>Network Connections) and right click on the NIC connected to the internet. Click Properties, and then Advanced. Click on "Allow other networked users to connect through this computer's internet connection. If the "Protect my computer and network by using a firewall" box is checked, uncheck it. Click OK. Verify that the other PCs on your LAN can connect to the net. You should now be ready to configure your PC/Server.

GETTING READY TO RUN THE SERVER!

The first thing you need to do is DISABLE YOUR FIREWALL!!! Although this is not secure, and leaves you more open to hackers, this is an essential step so people can access your server. You may also leave your firewall on, but allow traffic inbound on your selected port. If however, this does not work, you may still need to disable the firewall.

Next, install NetworkActiv. When the program starts, you will get a warning that the root of the drive is being shared. Click on it in the bottom left corner, and delete it. Next click on Add Folder, and choose the folder where your HTML files are located. Next, click on "Stop" if you can. If you don't see stop, don't worry. Go to the side where it says "Listening Interface". Use the drop down box, and select the IP address that is on IPChicken. If you don't see the one from IPChicken, use the one from IPConfig. Then in the box next to it, type in your port you wish to use. Next, click START! YOur server is now running. Next open up your web browser, and then type in your IP address from IPChicken, followed by your PORT. So, like this...

http://67.167.216.55:88 substituting your IP for this one. You should either see your webpage, or the network activ dialogue box with a directory listing. If you see this, all is good so far! Now all you have to do is send the IP to a friend and make sure that THEY can see your site or the directory. You may need to go through the directory to find your site. If your site was in a folder called "files" you may need to go...

http://67.167.216.55:88/files to see your site.

This should be good for now.
BMR777

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.