Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-
I have a Compaq 6300nx and a recently acquired a Radeon 9600 Atlantis video card. After I installed the card, windows wouldn't boot. Remember you are talking to a computer idiot. Please don't make me go to CompUSA!

Thanks,
Jennifer

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Do you see anything on the screen when you turn the computer on?
If not check that your monitor cable ( normally blue ) is plugged into the new video card. also make sure your monitor has power

Also a question is it a 9600 or a 9600 PRO ? The 9600 PRO's need a power cable hooked up to the card as far as i know.

try it and see if not let us kno

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so I'm not a total idiot...I have installed a few video cards before...Yes the monitor is plugged into the card in the correct place. I never see the Compaq logo. The monitor says "Check Signal." There are two lights on the front of the computer a green power light and an orange on that flashes every once in a while, well the little orange light ALWAYS stays on when I install the card. I checked the ATI website and it said to update BIOS, I did that.

So there you go...what next?

Thanks,
Jennifer

·
Registered
227 Posts
hmm. The only thing I can think of is...it's eather a bad card, or dells proprietary motherboard dosen't like this particular piece of hardware

·
Registered
73 Posts
jennybea said:
OK so I'm not a total idiot...I have installed a few video cards before...Yes the monitor is plugged into the card in the correct place. I never see the Compaq logo. The monitor says "Check Signal." There are two lights on the front of the computer a green power light and an orange on that flashes every once in a while, well the little orange light ALWAYS stays on when I install the card. I checked the ATI website and it said to update BIOS, I did that.

So there you go...what next?

Thanks,
Jennifer
Any time LED's on your case stay lit up it's usually because something isnt plugged in correctly.

Take the card completely out..yes, that means speending two minutes unscrewing it! Put it back taking care to guide the flat silver clip down behind the motherboard, and seating it firmly. Have a look to see that you also didnt disturb something else when fitting it first time...it's easily done!

What did you upgrade from? Another AGP card? Onboard chipset? PCI card?

How did you update the bios if you cant see the screen btw?

·
Registered
209 Posts
as above said
What did you upgrade from? Another AGP card? Onboard chipset? PCI card?

if it was onboard chipset (the blue vga port will be high then the cards, up on the motherboard)
then you gotta go into bios and disable and make sure it sees the 9600, which means switching back to the integrated going into bios and flipping them, restarting and hoping it sees the 9600

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
the orange light is the harddrive light which is normal that it blinks because when it blinks it reads something from the harddrive sry i had to correct that there ;)

its a compaq not a dell and compaq normally doesnt build in such nifty features of not accepting specific hardware. So what im thinking right now that its just a bad card or the onboard video isnt disabled.

Onboard video means that thers a video card embedded in your mainboard(motherboard). You can disable it but before you do that ... as the others asked did you upgrade from another agp card or onboard ?

if its the onboard it sounds like you need to disable it. to do so you need to take out the 9600 and plug the the monitor back into your onboard plug (the one where the monitor used to be hooked up to) now when it starts up it gives u an option to enter setup, normally its either that you have to press "delete" or "F2" but it also tells you.
once that is done you are in the BIOS this is where all ur main hardware settings are changed from ram timing to cpu multipliers. Normally under onboard perihpials(sp?!?) thers the onboard video if its not in that section, go through every section until you find it. It might be in a subsection named AGP something ... once the onboard is disabled plug in the 9600 and hook up the monitor and see

if thats not the problem you can turn the onboard video back on by clearing your CMOS but see if it works first

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.