Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any types of heat tape for water pipes that would handle being buried?

My pipes freeze fairly often in the winter, I have heat tape on them, and also set up some PVC pipe that runs into the insulated box that houses them, so I can stick a hair dryer in from inside the house and thaw them out quickly.
The problem is that sometimes they freeze up anywhere from 6 inches to a foot underground, which means I have to get the torpedo out, build a box to direct the heat and hopefully get water flowing in a couple of days.
So was just thinking that if I can bury heat tape, it would save me a LOT of time playing in the snow. (I hate snow!)

· Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I'll look into that.
Looks like encasing it inside a larger pipe would work. The deepest they've frozen was a foot, so should be able to double tube/insulate two feet and have it covered.
But that's a summer job, so I'll do that the same time I am changing the connection to the house.
Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.