Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thought today and I was wondering if anyone else tried something like this, or know if it can be done.

I have a network with 50 computers and 15 servers. I backup my exchange server, sql server, file server, and NAS to tape nightly. Since the file server is the only server that has a tape drive attached I have to pull my exchange and sql database, as well as the files from the NAS, across my network everynight to complete these backups.

I have all four of the machines running gigabyte and on the same switch, but I have noticed that during the backup process the entire network is slowed down.

What I was thinking was to just get a five port gigabyte switch and give it a different IP and subnet than the rest of my network. Then configure a second NIC in each of the servers for this switch. Then have the backups pull using these IP's. This way the traffic is left off my main switches.

Has anyone tried this before? Or know if doing this would really help.

Thanks, to all who reply.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,019 Posts
It should be possible, you might have fun tinkering with setting to get it all working. :smile:

Of course, I think I'd try to justify a couple more tape drives, you have all your backup eggs in one basket now. :smile:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.