Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(reworded version to avoid mis-understanding)

I have reset/re-installed Win 10 on my (dual-boot) laptop. Part of the install process asked me to give my Microsoft account details. The install process used the first 5 characters from my Microsoft account email address as the location for my user account (Profile ?) on the laptop. To be clear, what I am referring to is name of the folder into which all the data generated by my user sign-on, (i.e. libraries and data placed in such hidden folders as 'AppData') is written. This folder is a sub-folder within the C:\Windows\Users folder.

Disappointingly, the folder name formed by the first 5 characters of my email address is objectionable, if not a mild obscenity, so it must be changed. Can this be done? If so, how ? The use of a snap-in to lusrmgr.msc is not supported on the version of Win 10 I have, so the name cannot be changed via Settings or the Control Panel. The Microsoft article on changing the email address or phone number for one's Microsoft account has no interaction with this folder name and so does not change it.

If it can't be done I am resigned to resetting/re-installing Win 10 a second time. But what should I be doing differently in the re-install process to ensure I don't reproduce the situation I currently find myself in?

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this information.

I assume then that the answer to my original post is 'No' - correct?

I make this assumption on the basis that none of the options in the linked to Microsoft articles make any difference whatsoever to the entry in the folder C:\Windows\Users on my laptop. The only change that was made to my laptop was to its time zone, for reasons which mystify me. I have according re-worded my original post to make it clearer what I would like to achieve with the help of the highly skilled and prodigiously informed people on this forum.

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would think you should be able to change the user account name in account settings
Sadly, no. I can change the verification information I provide at sign in (e.g. PIN or password), I can even change the name I sign in with, even EXPLICITLY change the objectionable name - but none of this has any effect on the actual folder name being used and hence the name that is used by ANY and ALL applications that wish to write data under my logon.

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for this. Further re-install attempts over the last few hours have proved to me that is it NOT possible (when re-installing Win 10 via a reset) to have any folder name in C:\Windows\Users other then the name produced from the first 5 characters of one's original Microsoft account email address, even if another email address has been set as the primary email address. The article you have dircted me to here will allow me to CREATE (and subsequently use) a folder name in \Windows\Users, but will not allow me to CHANGE an already inappropriate name. Since I have no control over the folder name Microsoft invents it seems that the PC I paid for is not mine. I find the whole episode utterly distasteful and am really quite repulsed at the extent of the bloat ware and invasion of my privacy that Microsoft attempts to install, un-requested and un-required, on my PC. Thankfully out of the many 10's of applications I use across my PCs, I have just 2 which which can run only under Windows, as I am very pleased not to have to use it and expose myself to such an unpleasant experience.

I think I will close this topic here as 'cannot be fixed'.

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True, but by then the damage is done: with my version of Win 10 Home (Edition?) (a free upgrade from Win 7), being (re)installed via the process of Settings>Recovery>Reset, Microsoft insists on there being a Microsoft Account to allow install to continue. That is the point where Microsoft commands ownership of my PC and creates the folder name it wants (within the directory tree C:\Users, NOT within the tree C:\Windows\Users - as I have claimed, erroneously, multiple times in earlier posts).

Yes, I can (and have) gone through the contorted process of changing to a local account, creating another user with admin privileges, changing that to a user account, plus a bit of back and forth (I didn't understand - just followed an internet article with eyes wide shut), found I had a folder with the desired name in C:\Users, proceeded to re-install all my apps to the new user, copied data between libraries and then, finally, miraculously found I could delete that objectionable folder in C:\Users (which seems quite wrong that I could do so, but what do I know?)

So the change is made. Only took nearly 3 days. About zero minutes under Linux, because it doesn't have this surveillance-and-greed-driven fault designed into its installation process.

Reactions: spunk.funk
1 - 9 of 9 Posts