Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've been working on this for some time and can't figure it out. Hopefully it's simple. In a nutshell, the problem is this. I can only connect to Verizon DSL at our office through DSL modem, but cannot establish broadband connections anywhere else (hotel networks, hotspots, home wifi, and couldn't connect through a new dLink router either.) For all of the above it shows a connection, but hangs on acquiring network address. I was able to do all these things back in May, but now am unable. System restore doesn't seem to allow me to go back that far either.

Details (and I probably need to add more, but this is a start)
OS is XP sp2
Running Windows Firewall (disabled it but to no avail)
Running Norton Anti-Virus (disabled it but to no avail)
DSL modem Westell 2200.. I can connect through this only
Network adapter :Intel(R) PRO/100 Network connection
Wireless Card Ambicom WL100-CF
Verizon Connection: uses PPPoE
IP Address 192.168.1.117
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.1.1
Preferred DNS Server 192.168.1.1

With the Verizon DSL I can only conect using manual IP address. I tried using obtain ip addresses automatically for all the other conncetions, but that didn't work either. As I can connect through Verizon I and used to connect wireless using my Ambicom WL100-CF I assume it is not a hardware related issue.

When I called d-Link support for the router issue, we went through all troubleshooting and the tech could not solve the problem. For some reason we were getting a Lynksys IP address ( can't recall the address but I think there was a 0 instead of a 1 somewhere.)

At the Sheraton, I was with their tech support for a couple hours. did ip config/news and resets etc, but in the end could not resolve the issue.

Called Verizon support, but they couldn't help, no known issues.

Right now am trying to connect to a Lynksys router. Shows connection, but hanging on aquiring IP address. ipconfig shows 0.0.0.0

More info is probably needed, but hopefully this is a start.
Help.......please!
Andrew

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I suggest resetting your TCP/IP to factory defaults. Then, you can use the alternate configuration capability to configure the office, and use the default connection configuration for other sites.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I see you have a Ambicom WL100-CF for your wireless.

Have you installed the drivers for this device? Is this an older Ambicom product?? Are you sure you have the card number correct? You might be able to use the Compac WL100 wireless driver for this card??

Does it show up under your Device Manager?

Start, Run, type "cmd", type "ipconfig /all >C:\ipconfig.txt". Leave out the quotes ("").

Open C:\ipconfig.txt with Notepad and copy/paste the info back for review and comment.

JamesO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.