Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what a surprise. my favorite key combination actually does not work. what happens is, i can press the 3 keys, but the only thing that comes up is the little tray icon with a full green bar showing it's using 100 percent of the processor (it's xp by the way). when i move my mouse over it, it disappears. i've seen that happen before, like when i COULD use ctrl+alt+delete to close a program that froze, like kazaa. when i moved my mouse over the tray icon for kazaa, it dissappeared. so i'm guessing that it opens, but then closes without closing the right way and clearing the tray like it is supposed to....

and the REGISTRY can almost never make any changes. it can read for my currently installed programs, but will not accept changes by any other means. so that means i can't install anything. if i had to reinstall windwows, would i be able to? would i be able to install backup software to backup my pictures, music, etc? if i did have to reinstall, it would be a format.

i also did a spyware check (which i did before the registry screwed up). bought some stuff from tz(trackzapper). seemed to lessen the pop-ups, but it seems to have lessened windows' function.
anyone know what happened?
oh yea, sry about the colors, i wanted to see if it really worked..:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not that this is going to help any, but lately there seems to be an epidemic of people with Kazaa having major problems and viruses. Something to think about...

·
Registered
529 Posts
My suggestion: (I have recovered from a similar but not same crash this way)

Try to install an alturnative OS like Linux (any major flavor should work). When you install it, resize the XP NTFS partition (this will leave XP unbootable, but we'll get to that in a minute), and proceed with the install as planned. When you get in, use X CD-Roast to make backups of your data (DANGER: if it is a virus, it will be backed up). After doing this, go back and reinstall XP (complete format, feel free to whack Linux). Immediately install virus protection. After virus protection is erected, begin to reinstall all your programs, and copy your data back from the CD's you made to the hard disk. If there's a virus there, hopefully the virus protection will trap it.:pray: I suggest you keep Linux around, but that's your choice.:D Linux is not affected by viruses like Windows is, but it still may spread them though.

[color red]There's a chance that a recovery install might pull you out of it. I wouldn't bet on it though. At this stage, it won't hurt to try.[/color red]

OT: How did you do the colors?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok.... i bought a 30 gig harddrive and it came with some back-up software.. got tempted, backed up everything, did a fresh install of windows, and put back all of my music, e-mail, etc...

i didn't feel like messing around with different os's. my friend eric said that linux is cool, but i wouldn't like it. went over to his house, and confused the hell out of me. i went to click start, and i didnt' know where to go. i just didn't like it. anyway, now i have control alt delete, and i can modify registry, so there is no problem now.

do linux and apple have registries?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.