Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
can not istall windows xp on my serial ata drive.

when i try to install windows xp pro w/sp2 it tells me to push a button to reboot but thats all it keeps doing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is this in the setup when you are trying to install it and it cannot locate a hard drive? If so you need to put the drivers onto a floppy disk. These are usally located on the cdrom that came with your motherboard or PCI card.

Copy them to the floppy. When the Windows XP setup starts it says press F6 to install specific drivers, press F6 and have the disk in the drive.

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
The Mysic one with the Kool-Aid-Man avatar is correct. WinXP SP2 cannot see a SATA, SCSI or RAID array natively. It needs the so-called "F6 Disk" during the install phase or it will fail to detect the SATA/SCSI/RAID controler(s).
:sayyes:
The SCSI controler needs special drivers to work with XP. If it's an on-board controler, your SCSI controler drivers are probably up at the MOBO Mfg's website.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a sudden, unexplainable hankering for Kool Aid.
:cool:

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

The first thing that might help all who are trying to help is to give us more information about your system. For example, motherboard, cpu, video card, and power supply and watts, what other drives on the system......you get the picture, just list anything that might give us a clue.

Start from scratch, when you turn on the computer, does everything light up, fans spin, can you get into the BIOS setup menu, does it just sit there, is it seaching for anything? Any other messages.

This would help all of us a great deal. Post back.

·
Banned
102 Posts
When Windows tells you to press any key to continue do it the first time only. If Windows tells you to press any key to continue a seconde time, DON'T. Wait a few seconds and Windows should continue with the installation on its own.

EDIT

PS Make sure you have ONLY the SATA drive you are installing Windows on connected. Windows will try to install on an IDE drive if you have one connected instead of your SATA drive.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It will show all drives that are connected to the system when you select the partition to install it on. It's always a good idea to name your partitions :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
So True Ibrokeit

:sayyes: YEBO GOGO, :laugh:

THAT'S RIGHT WHAT IBROKEIT SAID, IT HAPPENED TO ME AND BY DISCONNECTING THE EIDE'S I COULD EASILY INSTALL XP ONTO THE SATA.
STILL WITH ONLY THE SATA CONNECTED I CHANGE THE BIOS TO BOOTUP FROM HDD AND SAVE AND EXIT. ONLY AFTER SHUT DOWN I RECONNECTED THE EIDE'S AND IT BOOT FROM THE SATA.

GEORGEG

·
Registered
45 Posts
georgeg said:
:sayyes: YEBO GOGO, :laugh:

THAT'S RIGHT WHAT IBROKEIT SAID, IT HAPPENED TO ME AND BY DISCONNECTING THE EIDE'S I COULD EASILY INSTALL XP ONTO THE SATA.
STILL WITH ONLY THE SATA CONNECTED I CHANGE THE BIOS TO BOOTUP FROM HDD AND SAVE AND EXIT. ONLY AFTER SHUT DOWN I RECONNECTED THE EIDE'S AND IT BOOT FROM THE SATA.

GEORGEG
Please dont use all caps when typing. Very annoying when trying to read, and all caps typically means that you are shouting. :4-thatsba

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i tried just leaving the serial ata drive and the same message kept coming up. i tried to just restart it once and still nothing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drive C:
Description Local Fixed Disk
Compressed No
File System FAT32
Size 8.01 GB (8,600,027,136 bytes)
Free Space 1.91 GB (2,054,709,248 bytes)
Volume Name
Volume Serial Number 407AC48E

Drive D:
Description CD-ROM Disc

Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Disc

Drive F:
Compressed No
File System NTFS
Size 111.79 GB (120,031,477,760 bytes)
Free Space 12.53 GB (13,452,394,496 bytes)
Volume Name
Volume Serial Number 6CFAB321

Drive G:
Compressed Not Available
File System Not Available
Size Not Available
Free Space Not Available
Volume Name Not Available
Volume Serial Number Not Available

Drive H:
Description CD-ROM Disc