Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a problem where when I try and install an OS- I get to putting the boot disk in, clicking on the "install" button on whatever OS I've put in, the optical drive spins down then the computer restarts.

mobo - Abit IN9 32x-max
Hard Drive - SAMSUNG HD501LJ (500gb) <- this is on Sata channel 5 if that is the problem.
Graphics card - 8800gts 152mb
memory - 2gb ddr2
optical - TSSTcorp. BG68-01201A

I have my first boot device set to cdrom and second set to hard drive.
I've tried to install vista, xp, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, fedora, windows 2000 + some others I can't remember and all hae the same problem. :upset:
I think Its probably some simple bios setting I'm overlooking, any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated :grin:

edit: only success I've had so far is while using the Kubuntu LIVE cd I (by mistake) clicked on the test without any changes to your files option and it went straight into it. So I restarted, thinking the problem was fixed. But no. when I clicked on Install Kubuntu - it froze, rebooted then cambe back to the main screen. It will now not enter the Live cd trial thing again :mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First boot device is definately optical drive, it loads the boot cd's to the point where I can click on the install button , but after that it freezes and reboots. As for showing error messages -can that be done under the bios settings? because if not I have no way of getting into device manager to change it.
p.s. Ideally I'd like to install Kubuntu.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ran Memtest on it and it did 2 runs (all passed) and had dones 50% of another with no probs. So I think I can > probably < rule out memory as the culprit.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Is there an OS installed on the HDD now?
I would suggest running diagnostics on the HDD.
Manufacturer's-DBAN or UBD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.