Tech Support Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Can I "Reset the PC" instead of reinstallation of windows? Or do you think there may be something which can not be clear up by reset only reinstallation will be required?
View attachment 335158
Back up your files to an external device. Go to Microsoft and download Windows 10, or 11, whichever you have, and store it on a USB flash drive. Insert the flash drive and select you BIOS boot menu (usually, you tap, continually, the F12 key-unless your splash screen shows a different option. GOOGLE your system with the question "How do I get to the BIOS boot menu for __ (insert your system name here)") Follow the instructions to get to the boot menu and select the flash drive you have inserted. When you reach the menu page
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Multimedia

select format as shown and follow the prompts thru the end of the installation. That would be easier than trying that registry thing!

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,606 Posts
You cannot Format Unallocated Space, It must be partitioned first. If you are installing an OS, just press Next and Windows will create Partitions and Format them during the Windows Install.

· Registered
211 Posts
You cannot Format Unallocated Space, It must be partitioned first. If you are installing an OS, just press Next and Windows will create Partitions and Format them during the Windows Install.
Well, since it has an OS on it, it wouldn't be "unallocated" now, would it? The picture was to show what it looks like when he gets to it. OK?

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Back up your files to an external device. Go to Microsoft and download Windows 10, or 11, whichever you have, and store it on a USB flash drive. Insert the flash drive and select you BIOS boot menu (usually, you tap, continually, the F12 key-unless your splash screen shows a different option. GOOGLE your system with the question "How do I get to the BIOS boot menu for __ (insert your system name here)") Follow the instructions to get to the boot menu and select the flash drive you have inserted. When you reach the menu page
View attachment 335160

select format as shown and follow the prompts thru the end of the installation. That would be easier than trying that registry thing!
From the above suggestions I decided to go with re-install windows.
Before going further, I should share past history of this PC. It is having two disk. It was originally equipped with HDD (Toshiba MQ01ABD100). Afterwards SDD (Kingston SA400M8240G) was installed. Form then HDD is used for storage only (Drive F). SDD is having two partition, drive C and D. Windows is installed at C and D is for storage purpose. This all was done by a professional. After 5-6 month of this occurrence, one day I got “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart” message instead of starting the PC. I have tried few things from Google. But unable to resolve it. I took help from the professional person and he reinstall the Windows. It was going well until I got above discussed problem. Now due to some reason I don’t want to contact him.
Now, is it possible that there will be some setting/changes he made for which I may got in trouble during reinstallation of Windows? If you need to look on some setting etc. I can make screenshot/photo. Which may help us from getting more trouble. You already know I have very few knowledge about these things. But I have installed Windows in other PC earlier.

· Registered
211 Posts
From the above suggestions I decided to go with re-install windows.
Before going further, I should share past history of this PC. It is having two disk. It was originally equipped with HDD (Toshiba MQ01ABD100). Afterwards SDD (Kingston SA400M8240G) was installed. Form then HDD is used for storage only (Drive F). SDD is having two partition, drive C and D. Windows is installed at C and D is for storage purpose. This all was done by a professional. After 5-6 month of this occurrence, one day I got “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart” message instead of starting the PC. I have tried few things from Google. But unable to resolve it. I took help from the professional person and he reinstall the Windows. It was going well until I got above discussed problem. Now due to some reason I don’t want to contact him.
Now, is it possible that there will be some setting/changes he made for which I may got in trouble during reinstallation of Windows? If you need to look on some setting etc. I can make screenshot/photo. Which may help us from getting more trouble. You already know I have very few knowledge about these things. But I have installed Windows in other PC earlier.
There are so many questions surrounding your ability to perform this task, but trust that, each one of us had a "First Time", and it may not have gone well with us either. And your question about the "professional", there may have been something in his process that caused this, but from what you've told us, we couldn't say that for sure.

I would like to help you, but it will need to be a one-on-one thing. These installation steps have gotten to be so convoluted, that there are differences for each system. For me, it's simple. But for one not as experienced, there will be issues. If someone else feels more capable, I hope that they would step up, but I would need more one-on one communication to catch the issues as they pop up.

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,774 Posts
As the Nike slogan says "Just do it". First of coarse, back up your personal files.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Finally I end up with PC reset with cloud download.
Both problems are solved now. Thanks everyone for your help.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts